Sunday, March 31, 2024

Made in the Shade

"Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1

Whenever I hear the word "shadow", my first recollection is a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson. As a young girl I memorized this verse:

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see
He is very, very like me from the heels up to my head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed."

In this literary work, a shadow sounds playful and fun. It presents the idea of constant companionship that always delighted my heart as a child. A shadow was an insurance policy against loneliness. A playmate.

Taking a look at Psalm 91:1, my heart is thrilled with the idea of resting in the Saviour's shadow. What does it mean? How can I get there? What does His shadow provide?

A shadow is created by light, and Christ is the Light of the world. The longer the cast of light toward an object, the longer the shadow. So many spiritual applications are found in that one scientific description alone. The more we abide or dwell with Christ, the greater our reflection of Him. If the light source gets too wide with distractions of lesser loves, then the reflection becomes blurred. Similarly, the wider our view, our acceptance and tolerance, the more marred our reflection of Christ becomes.

This one verse alone uncovers 5 truths for anyone who longs to grow in Christ, giving encouragement and direction. Under the shadow of Jesus, we are made in the shade as we dwell under His shadow, find protection, rest, know the Shadow Maker and reflect Him to those around us.

God longs that our hearts establish a home in Him. He longs for us to live under His shadow. He offers safety in abiding, giving refuge and comfort from the storms of life. He invites us to be and rest in His presence. The outcome of this precious nearness is others seeing Christ in us.

I feel a refreshing breeze blowing. Let's recline under the Saviour's shadow.

I long to be a shadow of my God who stays with me,
His protection and His shelter are much more than I can see.
I desire to be just like Him from my heels up to my head,
Resting in His presence, doing everything He's said.


No comments: