Monday, April 29, 2024

Prayer Paradox

"When they finally opened the door and saw him, they were amazed." Acts 12:16

Ah yes, the emotional paradox of believing and doubting in prayer. The church was praying for Peter's release, yet at the same time, were amazed when the answer came. The doubting in this passage is not that God can, but wondering if He will. I love the truth that nothing weak in me can weaken God. He can handle my doubt and will answer according to His purposes. No power can hold back what God desires to release.

In Acts 12:7 it says, "the chains fell off his wrists." Peter was in prison up until the night before his trial (vs6), but Peter wasn't really held there by Herod, but by God. There was a purpose for the "night before" intervention. God is teaching us to keep praying and trusting in the face of heavens silence. The fact that Peter was sleeping and had to be awakened, clearly shows Peter's dependency and peace in the Lord. But what about those praying for him? We can't quit too soon, thinking it's too late when the last hour arrives. Don't throw in the towel. God is encouraging us to pray until the last moment. Prayer trains us in trust, right to the edge, and that's where God wants us, with no other help or solution in sight so that we can exclaim with Peter, "Now I know without a doubt that the Lord...rescued me..." (vs 11 NIV).

Praying doesn't guarantee my will, but when I pray, the cause of God will go forward. It's when I get to the point of not wanting to move God to my way with my prayer, but being satisfied in reaching Him and resting in His results, that my prayer becomes a step of faith.

The church was praying earnestly for Peter. It didn't look good. From all appearances the situation appeared hopeless. The odds were against him. But God. Prayer is an act of faith when all we see are prison walls. The bars are a barricade, but they can't ban prayers from passing through. When things seem impossible, keep praying. Continue until you are released, either from the prison or from the prayer.

And don't be so shocked and surprised when God answers! The servant girl, Rhoda, recognized Peter's voice and was overjoyed, believing immediately, but the others who were gathered together praying insisted she was in error. The answer to their prayers was standing right there and they resisted belief. "When they finally opened the door and saw him, they were amazed." 

Imagine the response of the soldiers when dawn arrived. Scripture tells us, "there was no small stir among the soldiers about what had become of Peter." (12:18). I bet there wasn't!! I'm envisioning the commotion that arose to find their captive freed! I want the working of the Lord in me to create a "stir". In my own ability, any "stir" I might cause would only result in embarrassment, but when the Holy Spirit moves in me, God is manifest.

So, let's not give up too soon when praying. Believe God will answer. Expect Him to move so that your heart is stirred and He receives all the glory!


No comments: