Saturday, January 2, 2010

Aspire Higher

My son and his friends saw the movie “Up”. Apparently, the main character, Carl, realizes that sometimes life's biggest adventures aren't the ones you set out to find. Often the adventure lies not in the destination, but in the journey.

This morning the Lord woke me early to spend time with Him. In His presence He was calling me ‘up’. Asking me to choose to live above. More than a movie marquee, this word needs to be a morning by morning mentality. Refusing to be satisfied with the meagre and mediocre, I must aspire higher.

I’ve always been afraid of heights. I’ve never climbed a tree or scaled a mountain. I don’t ride roller-coasters, sit in balcony’s, enter elevators, look over railings or wear high heels. Yet, more than the physical fear of heights, it has smothered and stifled spiritual ascent as well. I linger in lowlands, terrified of mountain peaks. As expressed in “Streams in the Desert”, I too often stay in the mist of the valley and never learn the mystery of the hills. I indulge self, never knowing the glory that accompanies the courage of the climb.

One of my favourite quotes of A. W. Tozer says, “Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, ‘Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.’ Then give me grace to rise up and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long.”

Lord, is there a mountain You desire that I climb? I’ve always enjoyed pictures of mountains. It’s the terrain of Switzerland that has always captivated and lured my heart. May I not be satisfied with scenes or pacified with photographs.

I desire to live “up”. Physically that means living free of my fear of heights and learning the mystery of the mountain by finding courage to say ‘yes’ to opportunities that are bigger than me, but not bigger than God. It means abiding by His heart. Mentally “up” involves a mind renewal. Emotionally it would result in rejoicing in the Lord always.

Not just adjustment in altitude, but attitude.
A new outlook from position and dispostion.

Father, remove my longing for level ground. There’s an inspirational incline calling my name. I desire all my tomorrows find me looking down on today. May each day bring me higher.

God’s Word says that there is victory for the upright (Prov.2:7).

Remember the land God told me to take possession of yesterday? Today He is saying, “For the upright will live in the land.” (Proverbs 2:21)

“I want to scale the utmost height,
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray, till heaven I’ve found,
Lord, lead me on to higher ground.”
(Johnson Oatman, Jr.)

And now...just for a little fun:





post signature

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Joy. I too, want to live 'up'.

morningDove said...

i love your ponderings. Up - the song in my head "Up, Up and Away In My Beautiful Balloon". look forward to seeing what mtn God calls you to scale. get those climbing shoes ready.

Leah Adams said...

Up is where He is and where He wants us to live. He wants us to soar with Him, but all too often I choose to remain flightless because of my fear. May we all live up.

Leah

Lori said...

Rejoicing in the LORD always! aahhh, to be the apple of His eye, to seek Him each day , living in victory! Abiding in Him. May my anticipation become a reality!
Hugs, Lori

Kathy Schwanke said...

I have a little "up" story. I don't know if you saw my fb photos of my windmill, but I have bittersweet growing on it. (It was a pleasant surprise the fall after we moved in!!) Well, DH is not usually available for cutting it when I need it, so year after year, since I opened the shop, I have climbed a little higher. Two years ago, I went all the way to the top!!! The view was absolutely spectacular!!!

It was an inspirational day because I realized what I would miss if I had never climbed all the way up. Autumn is beautiful here in WI.

Blessings as you mount new heights in the new year!

~Grace and Peace said...

Joy,
Like I said in my e-mail, I am amazed at how God spoke something similar to both of us. As if to remind us that He is in the biggest (as if anything is big for God) and smallest details of our lives.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Very cute video... thank for looking this "up" for us!

peace~elaine