Thursday, September 12, 2024

Carrying My Blue Bag

"Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise Him again - my Saviour and my God!" Psalm 42:5, 11

I have often heard it said that loving is a decision, but so are hoping and praising. With all the many responses we can choose, when faced with situations outside our control, will we set our hearts on hope? We must determine what will occupy our thoughts when discouragement threatens to defeat us.

The Psalmist recognizes that his emotions are making his heart despair. He can't even seem to identify the cause of his feelings or the reason for his sorrow. Sometimes a cloud sweeps over us and we cannot pinpoint the source, but a malaise settles on our soul. If we let it take up residence, we will spiral down a dark and gloomy path. Like the writer, we must wrestle to keep our hope alive.

I read that "hope is like a reservoir of emotional strength." It builds us up and cheers us on in the middle of uncertainties. When an unbeliever says they are hoping for something, there is an element of doubt expressed. Maybe/maybe not. However, Hebrews 11 reminds us that Biblical hope is certain and sure. Where you see living hope you also see deep faith. John Piper has said that "Hope is faith in the future tense." I love that!

Hope is praying for rain and carrying your umbrella. Hope is baking the loaf and anticipating opportunities for hospitality. Hope takes steps of action that show belief. During the Covid pandemic I purchased a beautiful travel bag. It actually was a step of trust that in the not-too-distant future I would be able to use it.

My mom personified hope. I remember during one of my dad's long hospital stays, when I would pick her up to drive her to the hospital, she always had a blue canvas bag with her. She carried it back and forth daily, yet I never saw her use the contents. One day I inquired what it contained. She explained to me that it was her "hope bag". Believing each day that her husband might be better upon our arrival and need his clothes in order to come home, she was prepared with everything he needed. She never gave up trusting God for his healing, and one day we did require that blue bag.

Sometimes we must challenge our own soul and not surrender to the disquiet and depression that tempts our heart. Even though there can be justifiable explanations for our negative feelings, the reasons to hope are greater. Preaching to himself, the Psalmist is encouraged by the truth he knows. There is always hope in the Lord, and in focusing on hope, praise will return again.

My friend Bev Foster created a beautiful recording of original songs entitled, "Hope Seeds". One of the songs is titled, "Set Our Hearts On Hope". While sharing in a Webinar she said, "We talk about looking for hope, recovering hope, preserving hope, cultivating hope, finding hope, resilient hope, retaining hope. Hope is one of those four-letter words that has a broad meaning." She went on to describe hope as the link in-between our current circumstances and what is yet to come. Hope sees what has not happened yet, but believes it will come to pass.

It is in these middle places that choices need to be made so that positive transformation can happen. Hope in God does not deny the reality of what is, but injects the assurance of His care so that our confidence can stand firm. Knowing the Lord's presence with us, births our praise. As we consider His goodness and nearness, our hearts rejoice.

Hope is energizing and it grows in community. Maybe your heart is filled to overflowing with the goodness of God and you are praising Him. Look around you. There are those who need your infusion of hope. Don't blast them with it, but bless them with a word of understanding and encouragement. We will praise Him again!


"Hope Seeds" - Bev Foster; Producer Philip Janz; June 2023

No comments: