Saturday, September 7, 2024

Givers

"...the godly are generous givers." Psalm 37:21b

My Mom and Dad were both "givers". They recognized that everything came from the Lord and they held it all loosely in open hands. They were financial supporters of many ministries and missionaries. They gave of their time, talents and resources in every area of their lives. I will always remember the couple of times they received notification from the government that they were going to be audited. Apparently, according to the officials who review yearly Income Tax, it was impossible for my parents to be giving as much as they claimed while on the limited income they were receiving.

Out to their home came the nicest young man, in the role of government auditor. Mom kept meticulous records and had all receipts and documents prepared for his arrival. He began going through all the paperwork and refiling their tax return. It is unforgettable what happened upon his completion. He turned to my parents and simply said, "I don't have any idea how you're doing what you're doing, but just keep doing it!" He could find no discrepancy in documents, yet he had no idea how they could give so generously based on their income. What always made me smile, was that truly this represented just a portion of all my parents gave. Those receipts were only evidence of monetary giving to charitable organizations, but what about all the kindness extended through tangible gifts? Mom always had little remembrances for family, friends, children, and many others she encountered. Although she joked in later years that the nursing home would eventually need to put her out on the street as her bank account would be empty, she saw the truth of Psalm 37:25, "I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread." (NIV)

Giving was modeled in my home and I'm so thankful for understanding early in life that absolutely nothing is mine. My twin sister and I were taught to tithe and give to God from the first coin we received. We weren't given an allowance, but we "earned" money through accomplishments achieved, either in music or education. Fifty cents for a "B", a dollar for an "A". How my sister and I looked forward to report card day! Prior to establishing this financial initiative we were both good students, and money was an even greater study incentive. Rejoicing in our success, and recognizing it wouldn't have happened without God's enabling, we would often give 100% of our finances back to the Lord, or we would tithe, and then re-tithe the remainder the following week. We never gave grudgingly, but with hearts of great delight, rejoicing in having something to offer our Heavenly Father from hearts overflowing with love. I recall Mom and Dad trying to explain to us, without discouraging our desires in our longing to give, that we had already tithed that amount and did not have to give more, but that is just it...it was not a "have to", it was always a joy and delight. We saw our parents giving daily to the Lord in so many ways, and for us it was responding in love and returning to Him what was truly already His.

I am so thankful for parents who walked in obedience to God in this regard. Finances is the only area that scripture invites us to "test God". Malachi 3:10 (NIV) says, "'Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,' says the LORD of hosts, 'if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.'" Mom and Dad did not store up for themselves treasures on earth (Matthew 6:19), but they invested in lives and ministries with eternal value. I know rich has been their reward.

post signature

"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Proverbs 11:24-24 (NIV)

No comments: