Sunday, September 1, 2024

From Despondency to Dependency

"I am ignored as if I were dead, as if I were a broken pot...But I am trusting You, O LORD, saying, 'You are my God!' My future is in Your hands." Psalm 31:12, 14-15a

God's use of metaphors and similes is so genius throughout scripture. His word is literary artistry, portraying ideas and thoughts that penetrate our hearts because we can identify with the situations, emotions and actions. Although written many years ago we find ourselves so quickly within the pages of this holy, sacred text.

In cleaning out my kitchen cupboards I often come across a plate or cup that has a small chip missing. No doubt I've banged the item in the sink while washing or hit it on the shelf while putting it away. Maybe the dishwasher is to blame. I'm not necessarily the culprit, but whatever the source, the article has been marred. The question then before me is whether to keep or toss. The thing is, even if I decide to let it stay, I rarely reach for it. It's damaged.

There are times in all of our lives when we feel broken and ignored. Sensing we are disregarded and unnoticed, passed by and forgotten we can quickly draw irrational conclusions. In this Psalm, David, feeling neglected, compares his life to being expired or fractured, unable to be of any use. When that type of mentality sets in, we are in grave danger of spiraling down a self-fulfilling prophecy that will leave us numb.

We can encounter circumstances where we feel so overlooked and unappreciated, but we cannot cast our entire identity onto the smallness of one situation. Usually that's all it takes. Just one. And we magnify it so greatly in our minds we suddenly have the whole world against us and we take our response to such extremes. We cannot let one moment define us.

Suspecting rejection, devastation sets in, but we cannot allow our negative emotions to be a permanent hindrance. We must replace our threatening feelings with the truth of God's word. Yes, we may honestly believe we are a broken, throw-away pot, but that is not how the Lord sees His children.

Just this morning, our Student/Young Adults Lead and Discipleship Pastor shared a message from 2 Thessalonians 2, reminding us how in Christ we are loved, chosen and secure. God's love for us is never a fleeting feeling, but an eternal commitment from the Creator of the universe. His love is not contingent on our worthiness. When we feel insignificant or unsure of our place in God's plan, we must remember that He chose us before the foundation of the world to be loved by Him. God's saving grace is intentional, purposeful and unchangeable.

What always encourages me about David is that although he honestly expresses his emotions and often indulges in self-pity, as we all can, he rarely allows it to become the end of his story. In recalling who God is he reframes his thoughts and replaces his despondency with dependency on the Lord, voicing three declarations: I am trusting You, O LORD; You are my God!; My future is in Your hands.

Earlier I mentioned my chipped dishes, but what about when something shatters completely and we think it is beyond repair? No amount of glue will fit the pieces together again. Sometimes, instead of fixing, God wants to start fresh. He wants to create something original from the dust of our brokenness. Instead of destroying us, God is designing us and what we thought was death is new life. He is taking the fragile, shard pieces and making a masterpiece to be treasured. Our future is held securely in hands that were broken so that our lives can be redeemed, to the praise and glory of His Name.

post signature

No comments: