Monday, September 9, 2024

Rescue Me From Me

"I said to myself, 'I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me.' But as I stood there in silence - not even speaking of good things - the turmoil within me grew worse. The more I thought about it, the hotter I got, igniting a fire of words..." Psalm 39:1-3

Does this sound sadly altogether far too familiar? Have you been there? Not only with the "ungodly", but with other Christ-followers? Just the other morning while out on a walk, my husband shared something with me that I was unprepared to hear. Plans he had made and confirmed that did not sit well with me. It wasn't that I didn't support the activity, but I worried about the impact it would have on his health. His current struggle with physical heart issues leaves my heart legitimately concerned. As I listened to the decisions he had made, like the Psalmist, I told myself to "hold my tongue". I knew anything I spoke would be birthed in frustration, mixed with genuine worry. Yet, the more I remained silent, "the turmoil within me grew worse."

I did manage, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to keep from saying anything I would regret later, but unfortunately there can be times in our lives when a volcano of fiery words erupts, spewing anger, confusion and disappointment. Sometimes these outbursts only last moments, but other times they can linger longer. Emotions can move us to the verge of exploding as pressure builds to an uncontrollable measure.

We live in an age of rage. It is not unfamiliar to hear a news report of one driver losing his temper with another that ends in damage or tragic loss. Anger is such a dangerous emotion when not reigned in. Most often anger rises when we have seated ourselves as judge over something, and we believe our way is right. When we are dismissed, we become dismayed and we direct our displeasure at the one who is disagreeing with us. If only we would get as upset over the things that move God to anger.

How did David in the Psalm handle this dilemma? He asks the Lord for a new perspective.

"'LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered - how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to You; at best, each of us is but a breath.' We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing...Rescue me from my rebellion." Psalm 39:4-6, 8

In the overall, big picture and scheme of things, we should ask ourselves, how important is the situation that has our feelings escalating? Even if we are justified in our reaction, is our response really worth it? We need to say with David, Lord, rescue me from me.

With the reality and understanding of the brevity of life, we can develop a different attitude. Our days here on earth really are too short to be wasting time increasing our blood pressure and hurting others. Yes, God created us as emotional beings, but our emotions were never meant to control us. God intends to use them to transform us. As complex creatures, emotions serve as indicators, not dictators. When irritation increases, we need to look inward and find the root. Anger unrestrained will lead to sin.

Often, we ourselves are the problem. We must ask the Lord to grow the fruit of self-control in our lives. We cannot justify all annoyances as righteous indignation. Yes, God gets angry at evil, but most of the things that get our blood boiling are petty inconveniences that the enemy uses to tempt us to sin. Paul warns us in Ephesians that anger gives the Devil a foothold in our lives, giving him a favourable position for further advantages.  

Let's shut the door on anger. Remember, "You cannot see your reflection in boiling water. Similarly, you cannot see truth in a state of anger." 



post signature

No comments: