Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Sandwich of Hope

"He led them forth by the right way."  Psalm 107:7
"...the LORD alone did lead him. - Even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you." Deut 32:12, Isaiah 46:4
"I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. I will praise You forever, Because You have done it; And in the presence of Your saints I will wait on Your name, for it is good." Psalm 52:8b-9

I closed my Bible this morning and began to pray.  Today was going to be the day, wasn't it Lord.  Today was the day Your promise, spoken to me on December 13, 2012 was going to be fulfilled.  Almost a month ago, with my sisters and I trying to understand God's desire for my dad concerning long-term care, the Lord gave me this verse:

"'For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, Now I will arise,' says the LORD; 'I will set him in the safety for which he yearns.'" Psalm 12:5

"I will set him in the safety for which he yearns."  Yes, the word "him" really was in italics.  The verse jumped off the page as I realized the Lord was telling me He was going to find a place of "safety" for my dad.

This morning, after a very difficult day yesterday, I opened my devotional book and the first verse I read reminded me that God was leading us "by the right way...even to old age".  He was going to carry and deliver us.  The last verse I read encouraged me to praise because God had done it.  Had done it.  Past tense. These verses appeared like two slices of fresh bread, sandwiching hope.  In between those verses the "meat" of the message reminded me that God was our Guide.  It spoke of the exceeding greatness of His power that is at work for those who believe and that every good gift comes from the Father above.  Yes, today would be the day we would receive the call. 

I phoned both my sisters, shared my reading with them, and said, I believe today is the day.  Both my sisters were in agreement with me, trusting in God's Word.

The phone rang around 11am.  It was our case worker.  Not only was there an opening for dad in a nursing home, but it was at our #1 location request.  We were told how impossible this would be.  Not with my God.  NOTHING is impossible with God.

Although this really does come as an answer to prayer, the task ahead will not be an easy one.  Please pray for my sisters and I.  Tomorrow morning we will be taking daddy to his new home.  Here he will receive the 24/7 care he needs.  He who began a good work will walk with us and give us the strength and courage to meet the challenge of tomorrow knowing that God has placed daddy in a place of "safety for which He yearns."

Yes Lord, "You have done it"!

post signature

2 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Rejoicing in His faithfulness to you. Love how He fed you His Word through a sandwich. :)

Praying for your dad tomorrow...and all of you!

Hugs,
Sharon

~Grace and Peace said...

Praise God! He even gave you your #1 choice! Your faith in Him is so encouraging. So glad that you are blogging again.

By now it has been a week since that phone call. Praying for God's continuous care and provision for your parents.