Monday, January 1, 2024

Accepting "Excepts"


Genesis 3:13, "Then the LORD God asked the woman, 'What have you done?'"

Today's scripture reading had me in Genesis 1-3. I asked the Lord to open my eyes afresh to a new truth from a familiar passage. In Genesis 2:16 the Lord told Adam and Eve that they could "freely eat the fruit of every tree in the garden, except..." one. They have an abundance of choice surrounding them, blessings galore, with a restriction on just one tree and that "except" becomes their focus. The serpent later draws their attention to the limitation and suddenly they are consumed with consuming its fruit.

If you're anything like me, God's question above sounds familiar. In a moment of weakness I have succumbed to an "except" that God has spoken, and I've walked in disobedience. He has given me countless gifts and provisions, yet the "don't eat" warning increases my desire. My heart has heard both His questioning and His heartache..."Joy, what have you done?"

Father as I walk into this new year, help me value Your "excepts" even when I don't understand. Help me to not resist but trust You. You have divine purposes that are rooted in Your goodness and unfailing love. Lord, when I fail, enable me to hear Your Spirit asking without condemnation, "What have you done?" and may I respond quickly in repentance, receiving Your love and forgiveness. Lord, may You and Your word be my daily delight and guide me to walk in the way of Your "everys" accepting Your "excepts".


No comments: