Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Grab Your Kleenex

"When Hezekiah heard this, he turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD...Then he broke down and wept bitterly. Then this message came to Isaiah from the LORD: 'Go back to Hezekiah and tell him, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your ancestor David says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears...." Isaiah 38:2, 3b-5a

Sometimes we all just need a good cry. 

Remembering times I could not wait to get home, behind closed doors and fall to my knees. Overcome by whatever had moved my heart to such an extreme, tears were the only response of release. They were too tender and treasured for a public display. They needed to be held by my Heavenly Father's embrace. Other times they burst forth, the pouring out uncontainable and unrestrainable regardless of any audience. 

I recall as a teenager, in disappointment and confusion, after hearing words directed my way, criticizing my character, a washroom became my sanctuary of sorrow. After the passing of my parents, my bedroom was the place of solace that held my grief. A kitchen counter was an altar of confession and repentance as weeping acknowledged my sin and begged for forgiveness. Sacrificing a desire, while watching another enjoy the dream, wishful, longing tears flowed while a comfy couch embraced my surrender. A car was a refuge after an unwanted diagnosis. The arms of my son held my anxious cries as together we faced the unknowns of a sudden, unexpected crisis.

Tears can be manipulative, managed, melancholy, moving, moody and meaningful. There are so many reasons why our hearts overflow through our eyes. Tears are a wordless expression filled with deeper significance. We can shed tears of fear, weariness, heartache, loss, regret, distress and even joy. Many make every effort to hide weeping. I actually was one who used to resist tears. Portraying a bravery and strength I did not possess; I would shield myself and others from any sign of weakness. When I wanted and needed to cry, I would purposefully choose to watch a "tear-jerker" movie that would give me permission to let the flood gates open, while keeping the real reason for this bursting dam hidden.

Tears are not evidence of weakness. Although our tears or those of others can make us feel uncomfortable, they are a natural outlet of emotion that God designed. Instead of ignoring them, we need to acknowledge this avenue of expression that God has given us. At times they can make us feel awkward. We want to quickly excuse them and apologize for them. We struggle with how to address or help another when we encounter their tears. Tears can unnerve us while at the same time preserve us, as they protect and care, providing the path of freedom from whatever is threatening to destroy our lives and hold us tethered to pain. 

The text tells us that Hezekiah broke down and wept bitterly. There would be nothing secretive about such anguish. God not only heard Hezekiah's prayer and the cries he lifted to the Lord, but He saw the king of Judah's tears. God sees our tears. Every single one. "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in Your bottle. You have recorded each one in Your book." (Psalm 56:8)

When others trust us with their tears it is one of the greatest honours. When they have the liberty to be that authentic and vulnerable in our presence it should not make us feel uneasy, but highly valued that they do not feel at risk exposing themselves to us in this way. Being trusted with another's tears is a remarkable gift. Do not let it frighten you, but receive this fragile offering with tender sensitivity.

We know that we are not alone in our grief. Jesus Christ Himself wept at the death of Lazarus when he witnessed His friends weeping over the loss of their brother and friend. Even though Christ knew and knows that death will be overcome, it does not mean it will not be mourned. God is devoted to us, and does not distance Himself from our tears. It is OK. Grab a box of Kleenex and stop resisting the pathway to true and lasting healing.

post signature

No comments: