Thursday, January 4, 2024

An Unsettled Heart


"He was headed for the land of Canaan, but they stopped at Haran and settled there." Genesis 11:31b

post signature

After hours of cleaning, tidying, running errands, exhausted I sit down, telling myself I'm just taking a five minute break with full intention of moving shortly and continuing the list of things I need to accomplish. However, often five minutes leads to ten and before I know it at least half an hour has passed. My enthusiasm to get up and attend to the next task has waned. 

In the scripture text above Terah, Abram, Sarai and Lot start to head to the land of Canaan, but for whatever reason they stop. They don't reach the location they intended. Their stop wasn't fleeting because we find out they settle in Haran.  Don't misunderstand, I'm not in any way implying we don't need periods of rest, but stopping becomes a deterrent when it distracts us from our destination and becomes our dwelling.

Has the Lord called me to anything in this New Year? Equally important has He called me away from anything? Partial obedience is not obedience. May I not be satisfied with anything less than all God desires of me.

Dear Lord, as I walk into this New Year, grant me followship. Guide my steps in righteousness and keep my feet from following evil. Help me pursue peace, flee temptations and run the race You have chosen for me. Do not allow me to stray if wider, open paths appear easier. When I want to stop and sit on the bench of complacency, unsettle my heart and cause it to beat again with a rhythm of renewed passion and desire. Help me not to make excuses, but give me courage to climb each mountain, patience in every valley and strength for the rugged terrain. If distractions threaten to lure me away, let me hear and heed the prompting of Your Spirit. May I never turn away, around, or race ahead, but purposefully place each step in the imprint Your sandal leaves before me because Your footsteps are always safe to follow. Keep me faithful wherever You lead, until I dwell in Your house forever.




No comments: