Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Indulging Self While Crediting God

" 'The LORD your God put it in my path!' Jacob replied." Genesis 27:20b

post signature

I still recall the first time Exodus 20:7 and Deuteronomy 5:11 were explained to me. These scripture passages contain the Ten Commandments that Moses received from God. Growing up many of us memorized these verses as "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain..." As a child, and even growing into adulthood, this was the "Do not use the name of the Lord as a swear word" command. Although I do believe that is true, this law encompasses so much more.

In the verse above Jacob is ascribing to God something God did not do. Oh, in a round-about-way we can justify Jacob's actions knowing that the Lord did indeed plan for him to receive the first-born blessing, but I think Jacob's only concern at that moment was what worked best for him. Jacob is excusing his sin by crediting his actions to the Lord, believing his sinful conduct would fulfill the promise of God.

Before accusing Jacob too harshly, I'm guessing we've all been there. Maybe we hesitate to go as far as Jacob did by attaching the Lord's name to our sin, but we make disobedience justifiable by walking a mental trail that leads to our actions being acceptable. 

Jerry Bridges, in his eye-opening book "Respectable Sins", shares how we can so easily indulge ourselves in behaviour and actions without even sensing any awareness of wrongdoing. Like Jacob, words can flow from our lips and our conscious can feel not even the slightest remorse. Giving way to "justifiable sin" not only despises God's law, but despises God Himself.

Today I'm asking God's Spirit to search my heart for any tendency to misrepresent the Lord. May I foremost remember that He is holy. Yes, in some unconceivable way God can still accomplish His divine will through my human weaknesses, but may knowing that not guide my actions and cheapen His forgiveness and grace. Instead, may love for Him empower obedience and truthfulness as I live to glorify His name.

No comments: