Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Saying Grace

"Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven." Matthew 10:32,32

post signature

Carrying my lunch tray to the crowded table I set it down and squeezed onto the bench. The noise level was high and I never felt welcomed. I hated the noon hour. Looking around I knew what I had to do next, but also the response it would receive. Desiring Christ's command to "watch and pray" be interpreted that I could keep my eyes open when thanking the Lord for my meal, I would quickly voice a blessing in my head while nervously scanning the room to avoid drawing any further attention to myself. I will say, it always felt wrong.

Enter the key verses today. I always remember the impact they began to have on this young teenager's life. Fear was keeping me from publicly acknowledging my allegiance to Christ in the simple act of saying grace before eating a meal in a packed High School cafeteria. I recall the first steps of change. Bowing my head for the fleetest of seconds, and most likely rubbing my forehead or some other concealing action, while I lifted the shortest prayer faster than a blink of an eye.

The disappointment in myself I felt for not having faith enough and love for the Lord enough to unashamedly let my actions speak of my devotion to the Lord. I avoided the cafeteria as much as possible, yet really that wasn't the issue. I was allowing my peers perceived response to have power over me. I cared more about people whose names I didn't even know, then the God I claimed to be in love with.

It didn't happen overnight, and if I was to be honest, sometimes I'm still anxious in coffee shops and restaurants, but little by little, in the simplest act of saying grace, I began to publicly acknowledge my allegiance to the Lord. The thought of Him ever denying knowing me because of my refusal to testify to knowing Him deeply saddened my heart.

Yesterday I wrote about "seeing faith" and certainly "saying grace" is one way for our faith to be visible. Our lives must have evidence that we are followers of Christ. We are called to a radical commitment to Christ, and yes, this can bring opposition. Several verses earlier in Matthew 10 Christ spoke of the trials we could face as believers, but He also shared how opposition can open up opportunity. Not just opportunity to witness more, but occasion for more dependence on the Lord as we trust Him to provide.

I don't know where you need to take steps to acknowledge Christ as Lord today, but we need to understand this reciprocal response. Spurgeon says it this way: "What Christ is to you on earth, that you will be to Christ in heaven."

I'm saying grace with you today, declaring my love for the Lord.

No comments: