Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Yokes on You

“‘This is what the LORD says: You have broken a wooden yoke, but you have replaced it with a yoke of iron.’” Jeremiah 28:13

Replacing a wooden yoke for an iron yoke. Have you ever made that exchange?

You think you’re going to make things better, but in the end the burden is greater. What you thought couldn’t possibly become any more complicated worsens, and the sad things is, it’s because of choices you made. The iron yoke lies heavier and binds harder.

In a moment of desperation we throw off the comparatively easier yoke for one more severe. Oh, if only we’d kept the lighter cross, submitting to it’s humbling, than to invite the heavier burden. Rejecting Christ’s yoke, we will bow to something far worse and with the greater coupling comes a harsher judgment.

Our necks were made for yoke bearing. Galatians 5:1 instructs us not to be burdened by a yoke of slavery, an “iron yoke”, but to surrender to Christ’s “wooden yoke”, an easier yoke of righteousness, for a heart redeemed rejoices in it.

Christ is not asking us to do anything that He hasn’t submitted to already. Christ carried this yoke Himself. “Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your soul.” Matthew 11:29

Which yoke are you carrying today?



post signature

3 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you Joy,

This passage struck me too! You have written about it so beautifully. You are a true blessing!

Peace be with you today,

Karen

Danielle said...

Girl, I've never read that scripture before. I love it! Thanks for sharing God's word today. Fresh insight. Fresh Word.

I am going to be using that very soon!

Sarah said...

Joy, you always, always bless me. Challenge me, Lead me to Him. Thank you sweet one. It's time I lay down some yokes.

Hugs from Costa Rica,
Sarah Dawn