Monday, May 25, 2009

A Whole New World

“I didn’t believe what was said until I arrived here and saw it with my own eyes.” 1 Kings 10:7

Seeing is believing. Isn’t that the way the saying goes? I mean some things just have to be seen to be believed don’t they? I’ve often heard someone express, “If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I never would have believed it.” The story being told is so incredible it is beyond our finite comprehension so our minds can’t fathom it. The Lord must have known our propencity for the sight sense. Our need to see and not just read the word. “The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld his glory..." John 1:14.

Yet sometimes even seeing isn’t enough.

The disciples imploring the Lord for Peter's release from prison, rejected the servant girl’s report when he arrived at the door in answer to their prayers. Sight didn’t erase doubt. Belief obviously hadn’t accompanied the request. They saw the answer, but couldn’t receive the truth. Seeing through our natural sight doesn’t guarantee belief.

When we begin seeing through eyes of faith, it opens up a whole new world of sight, yet there will always be things we will never see, because of our limited understanding.

Lord, I pray today You will help me trust You where I don't see You. Trust that You are working in my Dad's situation. Trust that You are touching a friend who is suffering physically with a debilitating disease. Trust You are healing a marriage that is cold and distant. Trust that You are guiding the writing process for a couple of dear friends. Trust that You are lifting the weight of depression and bringing clarity for another. Lord, where I can't see You today, give me eyes to see, and help me walk in faith that keeps believing until that day I see You face to face.

"...blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29



post signature

2 comments:

Laura said...

A beautiful reminder, Joy.

I am still praying for the perfect home for your father. He has already done some amazing work on your dad's behalf! I rejoiced when I received your email with the good news that the hospital was being a bit more cooperative.

Praying...

Lisa Smith said...

Joy, I am still keeping you close in prayer, although, I haven't been bloggy close. Praying for our eyes today...Lord, let us believe.