Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Reporting For Duty!

To all my Canadian friends...HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!! Click here to hear this song: Worshipers Agree (Thanks Raylene for finding the link!!!)

Worshipers Agree
Let our nation sing to the King of Kings
Let our people pray to the Lord today
May the anthem of my country be pleasing God to Thee
From sea to shining sea let the worshipers agree
That the Lord of the Heavens is the Lord who reigns in me
From sea to shining sea let the worshipers agree
O Canada let the worshipers agree
O Canada living God reign in me
O Canada we stand on guard for Thee
O Canada
Let our nation sing to the King of Kings
Let our people pray to the Lord today
May the citizens and leaders ever stand on guard for Thee
From sea to shining sea let the worshipers agree
May we trust in the living God to keep us glorious and free
From sea to shining sea let the worshipers agree
O Canada let the worshipers agree
O Canada living God reign in me
O Canada we stand on guard for Thee
O Canada
Let our nation sing to the King of Kings
Let our people pray to the Lord today
(Written by Laura Dugas, His Season)

Celebrating my country and my heritage today!

“‘My sons, do not neglect your duties any longer! The LORD has chosen you to stand in his presence, to minister to him, and to lead the people in worship and present offerings to him.’” “Hezekiah encouraged all the Levites regarding the skill they displayed as they served the LORD.” 2 Chronicles 29:11, 30:22

An exclamation mark always catches my attention. Preceding words take on power. There’s urgency and emphasis. The Lord here is calling us back into service.

Taking personal inventory, I’m asking myself, have I become inactive or ineffective? Have I, or am I, neglecting my duty? I know there have been times, whether by choice or circumstance, I have pulled out of ministry positions. Wondering now…has this been God’s direction or my decision…a decision most likely based on emotion. Feeling overlooked, overwhelmed or unappreciated, I withdraw. Thinking I have “done my duty”, served in that nursery, led the Bible study for years, taught that class, attended enough choir practices, served endless luncheons and cleaned up after enough events. It’s someone else’s turn.

Well, I’ve got news for all of us. Regardless of age, attitude or ability, until the Lord calls us home, we have purpose and He has a plan. God isn’t finished with us yet.

It wasn’t that long ago I was in desperate need of some time of refreshing. I was sure the Lord would understand if I stepped back from my position as Bible study leader at our church. I was tired. I didn’t feel like anything I was doing was benefiting the ladies who were faithfully attending each week. Ironically, we were studying
Lysa TerKeurst’s book, “What Happens When Women Says ‘Yes’ to God”, and I wanted to say ‘no’!

I approached my co-leader and asked her if she could take over the remainder of the year. She lovingly told me she would, but only if I first agreed to pray about my decision for a week. No problem. I was sure God would just confirm what I already knew.

On the 7th day, I opened up my Bible to have my morning devotions, and this is what I read, “Stay at your post reading Scripture, giving counsel, teaching.” 1 Timothy 4:11 (The Message)

No easy road out. I was not to neglect my duties. The Lord, for some strange reason, had chosen this inadequate, weak vessel.

I love how Hezekiah not only called the Levites back into active service, but then he followed up with encouragement. Let’s not neglect expressing appreciation towards others. A little word of sincere praise goes a long way. We are often so quick to criticize, but maybe today your child’s Sunday School teacher needs a hug…your Pastor’s wife would be uplifted by a precious note in the mail…the church custodian could use a Starbucks…the office secretary might be blessed by some fresh flowers. I don’t know what God will place on your heart, but Proverbs 3:27 reminds us, “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.”

If you know the Lord as your personal Savior, He wants you in active service. He has recruited you. Today I'm reporting for duty.

post signature


14 comments:

Lutiemom said...

Again, beautifully written. Thank-you, Joy.

nancy

Sharon Sloan said...

Happy Canada Day! :) We Americans rejoice with you!

Love your heart Joy! I just love it! It's fun to see all He is doing in your heart and life. God is good!

Chef Diane said...

Good morning ladies,

God is so faithful to bring us what we need, when it is needed. You post today is yet another conformation of what I have been hearing the Lord tell me. I am a believer that if we are vigilant we will see, hear and maybe even a smell can led us to understand what the Lord is telling us.
As most of you know I am recently divorced, trying to figure out where to go next. I have kinds of thoughts but lots of fear as well. Through a serious of event in the past weeks it has become clear what my path is. All I need to do is “stand ready for service” God will move me when it is time. My job is to be ready for Him. As I realized this the song “Independence Day” by Martina McBride came on the radio. WOW! It was really f-r-e-a-k-y, lol but as I listened to the words in the chorus.


Chorus: let freedom ring, let the white dove sing let the whole world know that
Today is a day of reckoning let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong roll
The stone away, let the guilty pay, its independence day

This may not be a Christen song but the word look very familiar. Today is my Indecencies day, how about you.

Blessings,
Diane

Karen said...

Dear Joy,

Thank you for your words today. I have been traveling and got WAY behind, but I saw that Wendy pointed us to your blog and I am glad you reported for duty!

Your message really touched me today. "If you know the Lord as your personal Savior, He wants you in active service. He has recruited you. Today I'm reporting for duty." It's very true for my life lately. I (as Diane said) just need to stand ready. God will reveal His plan for me and give me the strength to see it through whether it is leading a Bible Study at church, praying intercessory prayers, or something more dramatic than that. Everything we do according to His will is praising and honoring Him. And if we do it with our whole heart, as Hezekaih did in today's reading, we will be very successful.

Wasn't today's reading refreshing? After all the fighting and turning from God, defeat, death, destruction, the King restored the temple and brought the Isrealites back to God " And the Lord listened to Hezekiah’s prayer and healed the people."

Amen, Thanks be to God!

Karen, CA

Lori said...

Thank you, Joy for serving us and pouring out words that God has spoken to your heart! I can totally relate to this post this morning.

I love how you found scriptures that so apply to us today! This year I have been serving in an area that I should say, "is not my choice." It's not my preference; and I'd much rather be serving in an alternative role. However, I clearly heard God speak, and reluctantly obeyed. Over time, I began asking God to allow my heart to want to serve Him in this way. In His own way he began answering this prayer request to me. He allowed me to experience such joy in this role that I'd never think possible! I have had some self-ish moments and a few set-backs when I felt like, "why me? This is really not what I want to be doing." But, I continued to notice my thinking was always about "me!" Sister's it's not about us! :) When will we get this in our little heads! Hah! I guess it's a life-long journey of clinging to God daily! Only through Him, can we do what we don't always want to do. And, He's been so merciful to me to show me that when I obey, He always blesses! I so want to be walking down the road with my little feet, right behind HIS! :)
Again and again He shows me that His ways are better than mine! Father knows best!!!

Thanks Joy; I lifted you up in prayer this morning!

Lori - AZ
PS Encouraging words go a long way. Just last night I received a text with words of encouragement from a person I'd least expect. I can't tell you how much joy it brought! Just a simple text! Let's find someone to encourage today! :)
Thank you all for your posts! They encourage and bless me everyday! Love you guys!

Lori said...

PS :)
I just read Wendy's devo from Proverbs 31 (check it out-it's great) and realized that today is July 1! Somehow during the summertime all the days just flow from one day to the next and sometimes I forget what the date is. But, guess what? Today, we begin our second-half of our year -long journey together, reading through God's Word! I hope the second-half does not go by as fast as the first half! I'm not ready for it to end!!!
Happy July 1! Lori - AZ

Raylene said...

Found a link...beautiful and powerful!!

http://www.hisseason.com/worshipersagree.html

~Grace and Peace said...

Joy,
Were we separated at birth? How else would you know what is on my mind? :)

Last night at a women's conference I somehow mustered the courage to to ask a question: What do you do when you are exhausted? Not just tired-exhausted but bone weary exhausted? My son recently turned 18 and graduated from high school. A week after his graduation, I became sick. For three weeks - fever, chills, coughing, the works. It seems raising my oldest son to adulthood just drained the life out of me. But I can't check out because I still have a younger son to take care of.

The answer given to me last night was to refresh myself in God's word and to take time for me even if it's just 15 minutes. And to pray for God to multiply my time (or my sleep as one panelist aptly puts it).

Your devotion is part of the 15 minute time I am alloting for myself. Thank you for faithfully writing everyday.

May God bless you, dear sister in the Lord.

Gillian said...

Thanks......Raylene for finding the music. I just listen to it and I agree with you beautiful and powerful!!!! A Canadian friend of Joy

Kristen Myers said...

Joy, thank you for stepping up to His service this week as you minister to all of us. Thank you for showing us that even when life is chaos all around, His still small voice still speaks comfort and peace.

Missing all of you as summer sails along so quickly.

God's blessings to all of you.

Elle Elle said...

God has blessed us all so richly...I am so refreshed this morning!

What richness God has deposited into our lives today...from Wendy's devotional on Encouraging Word to our daily reading (which was in itself as Karen has already noted ~ restoring and refreshing); to Joy's pondering...WOW!

I feel filled up and over and ready to report for duty!

Praying for you all as you step out in service for the glory of the kingdom and to represent the deep and abiding love of our father,

Liz
AK

Anonymous said...

I agree; it was refreshing to see things turn back toward the Lord with Hezekiah's leading. That means there's always hope!
Beautiful devotion today Joy. Many of the same thoughts the old devil has put in my head too...."you've lead music for over 20 years now, someone else can do it"...blah, blah, blah and so on...thank you for the little push in the right direction - it was a reviver. (if that's a word).
Morgen - MN

Laura said...

Happy Canada day, JOy!

Be refreshed, friend. You have had a difficult few months. God wants to hold you and breathe new life into your tired body.

Praying...

On Purpose said...

So if you are truly celebrating your heritage today this girl here needs to know...are you out on the ice playing some hockey?

I love you my friend!