Friday, July 31, 2009

Living In Awe

"Let us live in awe of the LORD our God..." Jeremiah 5:24

When was the last time something took your breath away? What caused this pause? A dazzling sunset? Majestic mountains? Listening to an orchestration of the "Messiah"? Pictures of the Grand Canyon? The roar of thunder? The birth of a newborn baby? These things capture my attention because of their magnificence. In comparison to me, they are so much greater. In their grandeur I see how small and weak I am.

What exactly is "awe"? Webster's defines it as a mixed feeling of reverence, fear and wonder, caused by something majestic, sublime, sacred etc... It refers to profound respect inspired by the greatness, superiority etc. of a person or thing and suggests an immobilizing effect. This deep respect is mingled with love.

OK. I'm reading this verse again.

"Let us live in awe of the LORD our God..."

Live in awe? At times I experience awe, but is my life characterized by being alive with awe? Am I captivated, moment by moment by God's majesty and greatness? Does His presence move me so powerfully that I can't help but remove my shoes and kneel in humble adoration of a God so great? Are my thoughts held by the wonder of my King?

I believe the enemy to awe is comfort. We've become so casual with God that it's driving our awe away. A mystery of God must remain. In our yearning for intimacy in our relationship with God we must still remember His majesty. Familiarity removes reverence of the Holy. Although I desire intimacy , there must still be an "otherness" about God. We can't allow the miraculous to become the mundane.

Lord, I want to live in awe of You. Not a fleeting, emotional response, but a lifestyle of recognizing You As Lord and Savior.

I stand in awe of You. Lord, take my breath away.





post signature

7 comments:

On Purpose said...

You mention the sound of thunder...we had a HUGE thunder and lightning storm here last night...definitely moments of awe!

Andrea said...

Wonderful message on the awe we need to have for our Lord God! Thank you for that, and the beautiful you-tube video and awesome song!

Andrea

~Grace and Peace said...

Thank you, Joy, for a great reminder that we serve a powerful, awe inspiring God.

Lori said...

Loved the song, Joy! I've come to be able to only use the word awesome when I'm talking about God. He awe's me like nothing else. He is too wonderful to even comprehend. Just yesterday as I was walking, a song came on my ipod that was meant for me to hear, at that moment in time. At about the same time, overhead, from out of the orange groves, came (I want to say millions, but that might be exaggerating!) But, SOOO SOOO many birds flying up towards the heavens! All in a large group that seemed to take over the sky at that one special moment. I listened and watched them chirping and fluttering their wings, as they confidently, flew higher and higher! I was awed my God's creation. To be able to live everyday in anticipation of seeing His Glory!

Intentionally living today, Lori-AZ

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Truly our God is an AWESOME God! And as terrified as I am of storms, they always remind me of the awesome POWER God has!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Last night... in awe of Him, once again. How thankful I am for his reminders of his goodness, greatness in my life. He is truly beyond description; still and yet, we try, don't we?

Wishing I were with you at SS tonight.

peace~elaine

Deb said...

Check point.

Ouch!

I do want to live in awe of Him. In awe of His word. His presence. His blessings. His protection. His majesty.

I needed to read this verse and your post.

Sweet dreams.