Saturday, October 12, 2024

Discover. Devour. Delight.

"When I discovered Your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart's delight..." Jeremiah 15:16a

How much do we love God's Word? The prophet Jeremiah is declaring his fulfillment and delight in the Word of God, but sadly his audience does not share his zeal. As Jeremiah faithfully shares God's message to the people of Judah, their response is resistance. The prophet found his personal encouragement through his time in scripture. 

The word "discovered" implies a seeking heart. Far too often we can come with complacency. The discipline of Bible reading can lack the fervour of intent that Jeremiah expressed as he deliberately sought the Lord. The only way for us to sustain any peace or power in our lives is through time pursuing God in secret. 

As the prophet "devoured" God's Word, it became part of him. He absorbed and digested all the teaching. He discovered and immediately took hold of it. He knew the value and without hesitation prioritized comprehending and owning these truths for himself. Sometimes digging is involved to bring understanding and meaning to our reading, but when an instant awakening occurs, how our heart's rejoice.

Spurgeon, commenting on this verse said: "I have said that Jeremiah lets us into a secret. His outer life, consisting in his perpetual faithful ministry, was to be accounted for by his inward love of the word which he preached. Depend upon it, this secret unriddles all true spiritual life. If ever you see any one who walks in holiness stand fast in temptation, and be upheld under affliction, you may rest assured there is something about him that is not perceived by every eye; there is a secret which the world does not know - a hidden fountain, which sustains the stream of his life - an invisible spring of vitality which keeps him vigorous even in the midst of surrounding death." 

I'm surmising that the majority reading this have multiple Bible translations readily available to them, either as paper books, or online. Do we search to find Him and know Him through the pages of this sacred text? Recently I was browsing through devotional books I have used over the past many years, since including God's Word into a daily part of each morning. One such book was gifted to me from a retired missionary when I was only 14 years old. By the time this leather-bound, treasured devotional was passed on to me, his wife, the previous owner, had already gone home to be with her Lord. Her squiggly underlines and comments had been joined with my penned reflections in the margins. There were many pages crinkled with words blurred and blotted from tears that had fallen as a hurting, hungry heart sought the Lord. Tender and touching to see the penmanship of my younger days. Expressions of wonder and awe. Comments of confusion. Requests from a teenager, young and longing for love. I smiled as I found a short prayer for Barry Manilow's salvation, no doubt coming from an infatuation with the singer many years ago.

Each morning it is my time with the Lord that prompts my early rising with ease. I eagerly anticipate what He will say to me that day. His Word speaks through every stage of life. Sometimes it is a Word of conviction. Often it is an answer to a specific prayer. Many times it is a new revelation. At other moments He speaks through a quiet whisper revealing more of His nature to me or sharing a divine secret. Sometimes our time together is long and lingering and it is the clock that dictates the end of our time together, not a feeling of completion. Is He ever silent? Yes, there are days when my journal only contains the date with a sentence or two, but those mornings of seeking are still special. The joy and delight that His Word has become to me welcomes me to trust in the silence and wait patiently. You see, He and I share a history. Over 50 years. A lot of memories. A lot of blessed Mary moments, sitting at the Master's feet.

Ask the Lord to increase your hunger for Him. I know that is a prayer He longs to answer. He longs for His Word to be our joy and our heart's delight. Do not settle for anything less. He alone more than satisfies a famished soul.

Quote: C. H. Spurgeon sermon, "The Secret Food And The Public Name"; a sermon delivered at the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington.




post signature

No comments: