Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Listening

"Come to Me with your ears wide open. Listen and you will find life." Isaiah 55:3a

In the past I have experienced days and weeks with very limited hearing. I have described it as being underwater in a tunnel. As I have waited for the procedure that brings relief, due to this physical difficulty, I have temporarily missed enjoying the clarity of birds singing and music playing. Voices over the phone were dulled. If our physical hearing can be so impaired, what about this spiritual sense? What might block our ears that would keep us from hearing God's voice?

Time. Are we even pausing long enough to give Him opportunity to speak?

Openness. Do we really want to hear what God has to say to us?

Unforgiveness. Is our unconfessed sin clogging His ears? (Isaiah 59:1-2)

Impatience. Are we being still a sufficient length of time in order to listen?

Distractions. Are too many other thoughts crowding out His voice?

Position. Have we withdrawn purposefully to a quiet place in response to His invitation?

Preparation. Are our hearts ready to hear?

Attitude. Do we anticipate God actually speaking to us?

Desire. How desperate are we to hear His voice?

Fear. Are we afraid He will give us directions that we do not want to hear or obey?

Doubt. Does He still speak?

Value. Well aware of our unworthiness, are we "good enough" for God to ever speak to us?

"Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.

Silently now I wait for Thee
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my ears, illumine me,
Spirit divine!"

"'Speak, LORD, for Your servant is listening.'" 1 Samuel 3:9


"Open My Eyes That I May See" - by Clara H. Scott; Evangelical Publishing Company; copyright 1895

post signature

No comments: