Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Keeping Up Appearances

"But a beautiful cedar palace does not make a great king!" Jeremiah 22:15a

Years ago, I recall watching the television program, "Keeping Up Appearances". It was a British sitcom largely focused on the life of one couple, their grown son, and the neighbourhood in which they lived. Richard's wife, Hyacinth, exhaustingly desired to portray an image of social superiority. Her continual efforts to hide her actual status were comically hindered by her lower-class relatives. Extending invitations to her "candlelight dinners", she aimed to impress by extravagance and unnecessary purchases. However, possessions do not make a person, just as a cedar palace does not make a great king.

Jehoiakim may have inherited his father's Josiah's wealth, but he did not and could not inherit his faith. A magnificent castle does not guarantee moral character. Greatness is not achieved by the accumulation of great things. Good to great happens through obedience and a personal relationship with the Lord. 

Appearances come with automatic presumptions. We have all heard the adage that sitting in a garage does not make one a car, and going to church does not make one a Christ-follower. The external "beautiful cedar palace" is only the face, not the heart.

The world tries to achieve greatness through position, power, possessions, people, promotion and pride, often portraying to the world a false identity. These are all empty investments. God's Word reminds us in Luke 12:15, "for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions." We may have earthly wealth and success, be recognized by others as an influencer, but our security is not found in the lives we build, but in taking "hold of that which is life indeed." (1 Timothy 6:19)

Thoughts wander to Judas. "Judas bore the cloak of religion, but never knew the heart of Christ." (Max Lucado) This disciple, turned deceiver, betrayed his Saviour while having only a "form of godliness." Jesus is not deceived by the cedar castles we build or the cloaks we wear. He looks past all the exterior façade and pretending. Our castles and cloaks can be a false security, but building on Christ as our foundation will ensure a mansion for eternity. Maybe it is time to examine ourselves again.

First, have I had a personal encounter with the Lord? Was there a point in time when a decision was made to follow Him, not just in word, but by confession, repentance and surrender? Have I received God's forgiveness through the sacrifice of Christ on the cross? Have I turned away from past sinful behaviour or am I still living the same way? What has changed, or what is changing? Is their evidence of obedience to God's Word? Do I choose Scripture that validates my desires or do I let the Lord run a fine-tooth comb through my life, removing any of the tangled mess that still remains? Am I clinging to old habits, thoughts, language, feelings? How do I spend my time? Is God a priority? Am I daily in His Word and in prayer? Is my longing for Him growing and my desire for the Holy Spirit increasing? Have I been baptized? Do I have more than belief in a God, knowing the God intimately as my personal Heavenly Father? Do I speak to Him? Do I recognize Him speaking to me? Is my walk more than castles and cloaks?

One of the primary ways we will know if our foundation is built firmly is by the fruit that the Holy Spirit grows through our lives. Not just some fruit, but increasing fruit. A tree that yields more and more produce every year is the result of roots growing deeper and deeper into the rich soil of God's Word. May our fruit reflect a dedication to God and not to growing an embellished image of self that is only concerned about keeping up appearances. Maybe some cedar palaces need to be abandoned for the sake of God's glory.

post signature

No comments: