Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Faith

“…Abraham’s faith did not weaken…” “Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God. He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises.” Romans 4:19-21

Didn’t weaken. Never wavered. Grew stronger. Brought glory. Fully convinced. Is able.

Each of these couplets characterized Abraham’s faith. I'm jealous of such faith.

Faith that holds on. Faith that trusts an invisible hand. Faith that knows God is at work. Faith that says, I cannot change certain circumstances, but I know You are in the midst of them. Faith that sees beyond the perplexities to the promises. Faith that resists doubt and discouragement. Faith that isn’t hindered or handicapped, frustrated or fearful. Faith that accepts without understanding. Faith that takes root and grows in the soil of our soul. Faith that meets triumph and trials and treats both the same. Faith that sustains through silences, silently. Faith that stands and stays. Faith that perseveres personal loss and public misunderstanding. Faith that pivots destiny. Faith that sings at the midnight hour. Faith that hears the songs still to be written. Faith in the lot and little. Faith in the much and the more.

“Faith that believes in advance what will only make sense in reverse.” Philip Yancey

Lord, today I pray for such faith. A faith that says, through tears, I trust You even in this. Hold me. I surrender again to all Your plans for me. I want my life to bring You glory, whatever path that will walk. Not my will, but Thine be done.



post signature

4 comments:

Karen said...

You sound sad Joy, I hope all is okay with you and your family!

Your words always speak such comfort and provoke much thought. I pray for you dear sister!

Karen

Arlee Bird said...

You have very lovely blog page and I enjoyed this post on faith. For another different take on faith you might want to check a blog post I ran across today:
http://stephentmccarthysstuffs.blogspot.com/2009/11/blind-faith-vs-educated-faith.html

I thought it wsa really interesting. Good luck with your blog. I am really impressed about how many biblically based blogs I have been finding.
Lee
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

~Grace and Peace said...

I am praying for that that kind of faith as well but I don't know if I'm ready to be tested as Abraham was tested.

Like Karen, I detected sadness, too. May He give you your heart cry today, my dear sister in Christ.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I hear the pulse of your heart, friend. You are anchored in a good soil... a good growth. Lean into it rather than run from it. Your strength is grown there; I promise.

peace~elaine