Wednesday, March 13, 2024

"Almost"

"But as for me, I almost lost my footing. My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone." Psalm 73:2

Is your faith fighting in a place of "almost"? Struggling to go on, the path before you has ushered in some rough terrain. Navigating the road before you has become challenging. You are uncertain and the way is unknown. Facing doubts, escalating emotions and sleepless nights you have come very close to surrendering to "lost" and "gone", but for now at least, you're still holding on. Your grip is weak, but it's there.

The word "almost" can be a word of hope and victory. The battle "almost" took you down, but it didn't. You haven't lost. You maybe came frighteningly close. You just about gave up. You nearly drifted away, but you didn't. You remained. You held on. You did what was needed. You sought help. You fought for footing, and although slipping you were able to stand again. 

Psalm 73 is such an encouragement for anyone battling an "almost". The writer, Asaph, is filled with questions. As he watches those around him prospering, he is disturbed by what appears to be a great injustice. Disillusionment and bitterness are directing his thoughts, responses and feelings. The wicked seem to be rewarded while the godly are waiting, not seeing their blessings. Specifically and personally, where are his blessings?

There are a couple of things we must come to understand. One, our story isn't over yet. The second, justice will be paid.

Whatever has currently placed your faith on shaky ground, it's a detour, not a dead end. The enemy may be tripping you up at your greatest point of weakness but unless you allow him, he can't make you fall or keep you down. Asaph knew what to do. He entered the sanctuary of God. He brought his concerns and heartaches to the Lord. Coming into God's presence brought understanding.

The Psalmist spoke truth to himself even while stumbling. He reminded himself: "Yet I still belong to You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with Your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but You? I desire You more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; He is mine forever." (Psalm 73:23-26)

What incredible words of power and faith! Resting in God's presence and looking for His perspective, Asaph expected the Lord to guide. Although he was treading tentatively in weakness he wasn't standing still. He was falling forward into the strength of the Lord.

Today, if this is you, rejoice in your "almost". God's hand is on you. He will not let you go. You are "almost" home again and your Father is not finished with you yet.

No comments: