Monday, March 25, 2024

Contend or Comply

"These are the commands and regulations that the LORD gave to the people of Israel through Moses while they were camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho." Numbers 36:13

Boundaries. Instructions. Legal requirements. Commands. Regulations. How do you respond to these words? Does the hair stand up on the back of your neck just reading them? Do you feel an immediate inner resistance? The majority of us hate being told what to do. Think about the last item you purchased that included a sheet of instructions. We even toss it in favour of doing things our own way.

Recently I was gently rebuked for being a "rule girl". I confess, it's true. I remember when I was expecting our son. I had never been pregnant before and I sought the advice and wisdom of others. One book in particular became my guide for diet, exercise and general care. I followed it exactly. Because of its encouragement, I ate foods I really didn't enjoy for the health of my baby. I gave up coffee and chocolate. I mean, if the book suggested it, I employed it. After all, it was only for nine months. Surely I could give this child the best nutrients to aid development for such a short period of time. To me, each sacrifice was worth it.

After my last surgery I was sent home with instructions for wound care. I was given direction on the most advantageous sleep position and a plan of helpful physiotherapy. Although none of it was enjoyable, it was for my benefit to follow these requirements to promote healing. Medical professionals who know far more than I, were providing advice for my well-being.

When conduct is placed under the control of another, so many rebel. Christians will argue that because of Jesus we now live under grace. I get that, and I understand it, but it doesn't mean we throw off all authority and do whatever we please. That grace statement was never meant to become a blanket covering disobedience. A great number of people, Christ-followers included, desire to push the limit on everything. They support their actions by somehow attaching God's name in defense. They umbrella their rebellion in the name of the Lord. Seriously? Even in areas as valuable as adhering to a physician's insight for surgical recovery based on experience and years of training. Do we really think we always know better?

Terms of law and order frequent the word of God. Whether we like them or not, they are purposeful and for our protection. Scripture is clear regarding the discipline we face when we neglect to follow God's instructions. Directions from those He has allowed to be in roles of expertise or authority over us become training ground for our responses to biblical doctrine. As long as we're not being asked to do something in opposition to God's word, just do it. Surrender self and pride. How does defiance testify to those watching our lives? We harm our witness far too often by claiming our rights, contending and not complying to simple directives that really are in place by God for our welfare.

What is one practical compliance you could yield to today? Don't make everything a fighting match. It's not worth it. Most things weren't intended to provoke but to provide and protect. Why not thank the Lord today for His sovereignty over all the boundaries, instructions, legal requirements, commands and regulations He has allowed to touch your life and glorify Him through your obedience.

No comments: