Sunday, March 17, 2024

The God-Quotient

"Your road led through the sea, Your pathway through the mighty waters - a pathway no one knew was there!" Psalm 77:19

How do you go about making a decision? With any task before me I set out to list the options. I weigh the pros and cons and see which choice is best. But there is a problem with that method if we've neglected to consider God in our equation. We only see with human eyes the possibilities ahead. Our thoughts are not His thoughts. Although we can think we've exhausted every possible way a scenario may play out, we can't forget to add in the God-quotient. 

You see, too often our conclusions are based on facts and figures. I recall three years ago trying to make a medical decision. The doctor had presented me with three alternatives. I honestly didn't want to pursue any of them, but I set out to find as much information as I could regarding each one. Google and girlfriends were my sources. I then presented all my research to the Lord and asked Him to direct me to His choice. I had been given three months to determine my response. With a week now before my answer was needed, I was still at a loss, yet I firmly believed God would guide and I was determined to keep trusting, expecting Him to provide.

Within that week the Lord did speak very clearly through His Word, but it wasn't with option 1, 2 or 3. God had a different plan. The clarity with which He spoke direction, and then confirmed His word, gave me confidence to proceed, although I was anxious about how my doctor would react. Why? Why did I not believe that God had gone ahead of His divine decision and prepared the way? What wasted worry. My doctor not only accepted my reply without hesitation, but commended the idea!

We have a tendency to forget the pathway through mighty waters, the pathway no one knows is there...but God. Even those of us who call ourselves Christ-followers too often don't remember to consider all that the Lord can do. We run out of ways, and exhaust all possibilities, but God, as Creator, can design ways completely unknown to us. We see a circumstance, that, if not remedied according to the alternatives we calculate, is beyond hope. To us situations become unsolvable and unresolvable, but not to God.

What "sea" are you facing? Has every avenue been explored? Have you done everything you can and still it seems uncrossable and impassable? The unimaginable becomes an opportunity when surrendered to the Lord. God loves to redefine our impossible. He takes delight in defying what we view as illogical and irrational. 

I love the testimony of Abraham in Romans 4:18. "In hope he believed against hope." I want that to be the testimony of my life. Like Asaph recounting the miraculous in this Psalm, and Abraham of old, I want to remain strong in faith, giving glory to God, absolutely convinced that He is able to make a way where there seems to be no way. If not a pathway through the sea, His solutions are endless. Will you trust Him?

post signature

No comments: