Thursday, March 7, 2024

God's Seating Plan

"Instead, take the lowest place at the foot of the table. Then when your host sees you, he will come and say, 'Friend, we have a better place for you!' Then you will be honoured in front of all the other guests. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." Luke 14:10-11

After scanning the seating arrangement for our names, my husband came to me while I visited with other guests at the wedding reception. It had been such a beautiful, God-centered ceremony and it was delightful now to mingle with friends and share in the joy of this special day. The young man who just committed covenant love to his sweet bride was our son's best childhood buddy. He was extended family to us, although no actual biological relation. Joining the conversation now, my husband mentioned that he couldn't find our names on the guest list. No worries. I assumed he just glanced over the chart too quickly. 

Reading the names around the guest tables I soon discovered he was right. Our names weren't there. Seeing the mother of the groom, my dearest friend passing by, I recall reaching out and saying, "We can't find our names on the seating chart." She replied, with a twinkle in her eye, "They are there. Go look again."

Something in her manner and the tone of her voice suggested there was something special about where we were seated. Returning to the chart, I now glanced at the only table I hadn't really scrutinized. It was the family table. As I looked down the list of names my breath caught in my throat. There we were. Our names plain as day. No mistake. Seated with the groom's family at the very front.

I will never forget that moment or the feelings that filled my heart. Chosen. Cherished. Included. It was such an unexpected gesture of love that it still overwhelms me to this day. Although not blood relatives, we had been adopted in as part of their family and treated as part of their tribe. The feeling of acceptance that flooded over me was undeniable. We were invited to a table of love and undeserved grace. It remains one of the most precious gifts I have ever received.

Jesus, teaching on humility, shares a similar story. It's true that placement often indicates an order of prestige. However, those who self-promote can often find themselves in danger of facing shame. Pride can make us strive for position, but God calls us to consider others before ourselves and wait for Him to exalt us. God is not impressed by status. Christ exemplified true humility. It has been said, "Go as low as e're you will, the Highest has been lower still." 

God doesn't value a list of endorsements from well-known celebrities. Your placement at His table is radically different than the world's seating plan. He honours the humble. As we serve and share in quiet ways behind the scenes God is taking notice. Some of the greatest kingdom work is birthed in humble hearts in secret places. The Lord is watching. Eternity's seating plan might really surprise you. 

No comments: