Sunday, March 10, 2024

Climbing Trees

"...may all who search for You be filled with joy and gladness in You..." Psalm 70:4

How often do you misplace things? My most recent loss was a wool headband that I use almost daily for walking outside in the winter. Because of its constant use, it made absolutely no sense that it could go missing. I searched for that little article of clothing everywhere. I'm usually pretty good with "a place for everything and everything in its place", so the disappearance was strange. I finally assumed I had left it somewhere and I'd have to purchase a new one.

Imagine my surprise the other day when I went to wrap a gift for a family member and there it was in a bag in the closet! I'm guessing, having walked to the store, I was wearing it, but the weather warming before my return, I took it off, tossed it in the bag along with my purchases and forgot about it. I was delighted to find it. The lost located.

I'll admit, I didn't originally search for it very long. Our seeking is proportionate to the value we place on the item we desire. The greater the worth, the more intense the search.

How dedicated are we to search for the Lord? To what lengths will we go to understand a new truth in His word? Do we give up too easy? How desperate are we to find Jesus?

I've read about individuals who have actually "camped out" for days before tickets become available to a concert or sporting event. They want to be first in line for the best seats. Boxing Day and Black Friday sales can have customers lined up for hours before a store opens. Do I chase after Jesus with the same tenacity? What am I willing to do to in my pursuit of Christ? Will I wait in silence, however long it takes, for Him to speak to me? Will I set the alarm earlier so that I can quietly sit in His presence before household activity begins? Would I turn off the television, choosing instead to spend time in His Word? Do I really even want Him? What choices give any indication that I do?

My mind drifts to a man mentioned in Scripture. Being short in stature, he didn't allow his physical limitations to stand in the way of seeing the Saviour. Noticing a sycamore-fig tree nearby, without hesitation Zacchaeus climbed the tree to get a glimpse of Jesus. His efforts were rewarded as the Lord looked up, called him down and invited Himself over for a visit. Zacchaeus literally went "out on a limb" in his effort to see Christ. 

Lord, increase my longing for You. Just as the crowds threatened Zacchaeus' view, many things will try to crowd You out of my day. Help me want to want You. Father, give me determination and drive to climb whatever tree is necessary in order to see You. In writing about this encounter in Scripture, Luke shares that in response to Christ looking up and talking to him, Zacchaeus quickly came down and took Jesus to his house in great excitement and joy! In response to our seeking, Jesus sees and speaks to us and we are filled with joy and gladness in Him. 

What tree will you climb today in your search to know Him more?



post signature

No comments: