Friday, October 9, 2009

Come

“‘Come’, he said.” Matthew 14:29

Where Lord?

Out of my “boat”? My place of comfort and security? Out of my fears, doubts, complacency and safety? Out of pride, shame, hypocrisy and judgement?

The Lord has so much for us out on the "open sea" that we'll never experience cowering in our "boat".

A precious old hymn is playing in my head. Before I continue with my ponderings, let the lyrics extend an invitation and minister to your heart. Respond accordingly.

Out of my bondage, sorrow, and night,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into Thy freedom, gladness, and light,
Jesus, I come to Thee;
Out of my sickness, into Thy health,
Out of my want and into Thy wealth,
Out of my sin and into Thyself,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of my shameful failure and loss,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into the glorious gain of Thy cross,
Jesus, I come to Thee.
Out of earth’s sorrows into Thy balm,
Out of life’s storms and into Thy calm,
Out of distress to jubilant psalm,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of unrest and arrogant pride,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into Thy blessed will to abide,
Jesus, I come to Thee.
Out of myself to dwell in Thy love,
Out of despair into raptures above,
Upward for aye on wings like a dove,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of the fear and dread of the tomb,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into the joy and light of Thy throne,
Jesus, I come to Thee.
Out of the depths of ruin untold,
Into the peace of Thy sheltering fold,
Ever Thy glorious face to behold,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

As John Ortberg writes in his book entitled, "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat", "Getting out of the boat was Peter's gift to Jesus; the experience of walking on the water was Jesus' gift to Peter".

Not everyone responds to Christ's invitation. There were other disciples who remained in the boat. They missed experiencing the power of God. They missed the joy of trusting Jesus like they never had before.

The Lord will enable us. Even if we become hesitant half-way, He is there. Peter at one point was far from shore, out on the water several feet from the boat, but within arms length of Jesus. He is with us.

Where is He asking you to "Come"?

Come back
Come forward
Come into
Come abide
Come rest
Come trust
Come worship
Come listen
Come respond
Come follow
Come surrender
Come delight
Come remove
Come ask
Come testify
Come confess
Come home



post signature

4 comments:

Thankful said...

WOW....Joy, this is what we talked about yesterday! ..not letting fear rule..but look at the results! I might have to sing this to someone......

CC said...

This was fantastic Joy. I am slowly getting out of my boat. Thank you thank you for these words, they have spoken directly to my heart today.

~Grace and Peace said...

Powerful post today, Joy.
Thank you for that daily gift. I got out of my boat yesterday - after He healed me from what I thought was going to be a 5 day battle with the flu. I stayed home from work.

But I got better soon after I dropped off my son to school. And He led me to a mid-day conference at church.

Next thing I know, I have signed up to an indepth study of His word (36 weeks!). My mind is still reeling from it all. But He called and I came.

Lisa Spence said...

Makes me think of the verses in Isaiah: "Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat!" Jesus offers living water to the thirsty!