Tuesday, October 6, 2009

An Invitation to a Storm

“Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” Mark 4:35

Christ issues an invitational command. In effect, He’s saying, “Let’s get into the boat. It’s test time.”

The journey to “the other side” welcomed winds. Sometimes the will of God includes a storm. When the whirlwind is God’s will, how do we weather it? How we survive will depend on our preparation. Have we practiced the discipline of listening, not just feeling and the dedication of doing, not just knowing? Second-hand faith won’t help us reach our destination. God wants to shake us up a little and stretch our trust in Him.

The disciples, for the most part, were superb navigators on the sea. This was their area of expertise. Yet, even these professionals needed a personal Savoir. A call to “let’s go” ushers in the need of letting go. What needs to be released? Fear.

Jesus questions, “Where’s your faith?” Fear has swallowed it. Fear prevents us from reaching our other shore, yet it’s waves don’t have to keep us standing in the sand. As my Pastor once said, “Feelings are a good caboose, but not a good engine.” Christ wants us to risk, even if it’s a difficult horizon.

A storm often is God’s way to teach us about His authority and His pleasure in our living. If we anchor ourselves in God’s Word we will ride out the storm. God’s love is demonstrated in the midst of storms, for it is there He really shows us that He can, and will, look after us.

What shore is beckoning you to set sail? Don’t let the dark clouds overhead intimidate you. The living Christ is in the boat with you. You’ll reach the other side.

“Great acts of faith are seldom born out of calm calculation.” Max Lucado



post signature

7 comments:

Runner Mom said...

Sweet friend, this was beautiful and so powerful! "Have we practiced the discipline of listening, not just feeling and the dedication of doing, not just knowing?" Joy, these words really touched my heart. I pray that I have!

I hope that you have a wonderful day!!
Love you!
Susan

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

When we consider what awaited them on the other side, and the deliverance of one man shackled to his tomb, no wonder the seas quaked in recognition. When deliverance from God stands on the horizon, all hell breaks loose and shouts his objection!

So glad to have my Jesus in the boat today as we navigate these pesky waters. So glad for the day when he chartered another boat to come to my rescue. In both cases, nothing could prevent his arrival.

How I need him today; I'm heartsick and weary, but I'm trusting friend. God is my anchor, my shield, and my shelter. The battle belongs to him.

peace~elaine

Brandee said...

He is always in the boat with us! Loved this today Joy, wanted to tell you so :) Thanks for the encouraging words. I am doing good, hanging in there. I talked to a lady at the health food store yesterday and she sold me some nasal spray that is really good. I can tell it is helping! I was telling her what I was doing and she also encouraged me to hang in there that it is a process and not one that comes quickly. God has begun a good work in me and WILL see it through to completion!

Love,
Brandee

CC said...

Thank you Joy. Needed this today. CC

~Grace and Peace said...

I flinched when I saw the title to your post today. An invitation to a what? Storm? Uhm, no, thanks. I won't be attending that event today. That was my flesh.

The Spirit in me, though, marveled at the possibility to commune with Jesus. By this time, it knows that I am closest to my God when I'm in the midst of the storm.

Unreasonable Grace said...

Amen!
"Feelings are a good caboose, but not a good engine." ... I LIKE it!
kim

Sharon Sloan said...

Oh yes indeedy...when we are anchored in His Word, we will weather the storm, we will let down our nets, we will get up from the mat, etc. Amen, sister! :)

Psalm 107:28-30
"Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and He brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper;the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and He guided them to their desired haven."