Saturday, October 10, 2009

Only Believe

“Jesus told them, ‘This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.’” John 6:29

Several years ago I had the privilege of facilitating Beth Moore’s study, “Believing God”. What an eye-opener. It became very clear to me, very quickly, how paralyzed most Christians are by unbelief, myself included.

Before we can believe God, we must make the decision to believe in God. That’s not just saying, “Oh, I believe there’s a God out there somewhere.” Many people claim to believe there is a God, but have no personal relationship with Him at all. We must first receive Him by faith. The “work” Jesus is asking of us is to actively believe in Him.

Work requires action. Our work here is faith. Not a passive noun, but a verb. It’s a walk of faith that assumes a walk with God. Belief in itself is useless. For faith to live it must walk depending on God.

We might say we travel that pathway, but on closer look we may discover that often our belief takes a detour. We believe in ourselves, our husband’s, our possessions, our positions, our church, our friends, our family, our wealth, our health and if any of these are shattered, our belief system fails us. Not so with God.

For our walk of belief to be worthy, it will be challenged to keep us moving with Him. It’s not a one-time, done deal event. It’s a continual, daily, hourly, minute by minute, second by second believing. As we exercise our belief it will grow. Each step of faith makes the next step easier.

Currently I am believing God to guide and direct specifically in two areas. Trusting Him to confirm in the hearts of all my family the next step we need to take with dad. (For those of you who don't know, my dad went into the hospital on March 3rd of this year for day surgery, and due to errors made, he still remains in the hospital. The Lord has answered many of our prayers and we are now looking to Him for further direction.) I am also needing to place my faith fully in, and on God, to direct my son to the University of His choosing in the next couple of months. Deadline dates are getting closer, and although my son knows what he'd like to study, he has no idea where that learning will take place. Big decisions, but we have a big God.

Have you made that decision to believe in God? If so, where do you need to believe Him today? Take my hand. We'll walk this road together.



post signature

8 comments:

Amy L Brooke said...

Praying with and believing with you!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Prayed both of these prayers for you last evening as the Lord prompted me. A year from now, you will clearly see the tracing of God's hand. Faith walks require time enough to see it all come full cycle. Believe me (and God) when I tell you, you will one day look back and see his majesty in it all.

Love you friend. Have a great day in the Lord.

peace~elaine

Sharon Sloan said...

Joy, I just love your writing and your heart!

Praying and believing with you,
Sharon :)
(keep us posted!)

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

It's so good to get back to reading your daily "Ponderings" since missing most of last week while keeping my grandbabies. So refreshing to see how you seek God's counsel in all you do. I pray that I will be so wise to do that also!

Blessings!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

Laura said...

Joy,

I have been wondering how your father is...will recommit him to my prayers.

Believing God is one of my favorites. I'm trying to remember the little hand motion Beth had us do...

Kathy Schwanke said...

"Belief in itself is useless. For faith to live it must walk depending on God."

Oh Joy! I would like to plaster this on a billboard! My heart is heavy over the people who "believe in God",and live worldly, sin-saturated lives...because they seem so closed to the gospel.

My Pastor says that some people miss heaven by 18" (the distance between their head and their heart).

But I do not lose heart, I pray...pray...pray...that they will come to a knowledge of the truth and escape the snare of the enemy.

God bless you in your decisions. We are facing the college thing with Ethan too. It is a biggie! I like what Elaine said, we will look back and see how the Lord worked in all these things.
Love to you and your family!
Kathy

Joan Hall said...

Joy, I come here from time to time to read your posts and each time I am blessed.

Praying for you and the decisions you are facing.

~Grace and Peace said...

I can relate, Joy. God is calling each and everyone of us to action. It is difficult because as we take one step, spiritual warfare begins. And this is where it matters: do we lose heart and retreat? Or do we believe and take the next step?

I pray that God will give you the clarity regarding your Dad's care and your son's college choice. Both decisions have different levels of difficulty yet both life changing.