Thursday, April 11, 2024

Ignorance Is Not Bliss

"If you see your neighbour's ox or sheep or goat wandering away, don't ignore your responsibility. Take it back to its owner...Do the same if you find your neighbour's donkey, clothing, or anything else your neighbour loses. Don't ignore your responsibility. If you see that your neighbour's donkey or ox has collapsed on the road, do not look the other way. Go and help your neighbour get it back on its feet!" Deuteronomy 22:1, 3-4

There are some memories that never leave us. The precious ones, we rejoice over and treasure. Then there are others whose recall spurs in us a desire to respond differently the next time.

I'm ashamed to actually share this personal illustration of failing to live out today's scripture passage. Although this happened years ago, it's as vivid as if it were yesterday. I had hurried into the grocery store to pick up a couple of items and in between the double doors of the entrance I saw something on the floor. With it being winter, and not desiring the item to be trodden down by the slushy wheels of the grocery carts, I bent over to pick it up and place it on the display just inside the door. As I did so, I realized it was the hood from a child's winter coat. My hope was that they would see it as they exited the store, had they even noticed it was missing. Patting myself on the back for this kind deed, I began my shopping.

So far, so good...right? Aren't I great! I didn't leave the article of clothing on the ground, but put it somewhere enabling it to be seen and located. Many would have left it. I picked it up. Aren't I a hero!

Here comes the embarrassing part. While gathering the items on my shopping list, I saw a young boy about 10-12 years of age. He was frantically hurrying up and down each aisle, obviously in search of something. There was no denying this child had lost an object, and was in a bit of a panic as he looked up and down each row of the store. I actually overheard him say, "My mom is going to kill me."

Friends, I did nothing. I didn't ask the young fellow what he was looking for. I didn't offer to help him find whatever he had lost. I mean, honestly, I knew what had him afraid. His coat was the same colour as that hood I had picked up, and his was missing. I did nothing! Why? Because a voice inside me said, "Don't worry. He'll see it when he leaves the store. You left it in a visual area that he can't miss." Seriously? What if it had been moved? What if, in this child's fright, he missed seeing it completely? I could have, at that very moment, been the answer to his anxiety, calmed his fear and walked him over to where I had placed his hood. But I didn't, and that memory rises to disappoint me to this day. I did exactly what the scripture verses above warned about; I ignored my responsibility and looked the other way.

We know from the Gospel of Luke we are called to be "Good Samaritans". Jesus defined "neighbour", not only as those who live beside us, but anyone He allows to cross our path. That never-to-be-forgotten encounter is actually just one of others, from many years ago, that now prompts me to act. Oh, I can excuse my behaviour by claiming shyness. I can convince myself the young lad found his hood because I left it so accessible. I can justify keeping silent because I didn't hear him mention a hood. It's so easy to find back doors and escape clauses to condone sin. 

Father, so often You give me eyes to see a need, and in selfishness and disobedience I do nothing. You place me on a path to be the provision to someone's cry for help, and I ignore my responsibility or look the other way. Lord, I confess times I have desperately failed to be Your answer to another's difficulty. You were desiring to use me and I refused to be Your hands and feet. May the heartache of regret not become an unhealthy guilt, but from a place of forgiveness and restoration be the inspiration and encouragement to respond differently in any opportunities of undeserved grace You gift me in the days and years ahead.

post signature

No comments: