Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Reframe Fear

"Then the officers will also say, 'Is anyone here afraid or worried? If you are, you may go home before you frighten anyone else." Deuteronomy 20:8

"Is anyone here afraid or worried?" Is your hand raised? I confess mine is.

Anyone familiar with the Christian classic "Hinds Feet on High Places" knows the main character in this allegory of a believer's life is called "Much Afraid". Although I don't desire those two words to define who I am, they do mark most of my life. Like the forlorn, young protagonist in the story I am often filled with more angst than I'd like to admit. Fear has had far too much freedom in my life.

I really do believe there were many things I was taught to fear as a child. I grew up under the shadow of my mother's fears. The inventory is long, but dogs, travel by plane, and thunderstorms probably top the list. Then there were fears that grew from experiences. You don't have to be held captive in a stationary elevator for long before you always look for the stairs, regardless of how many floors you may have to climb. But, what about the fears you can't get around, avoid or manage? You know the ones. Maybe they involve worries about health, my biggest nemesis. They could include family concerns of loved ones in situations that you have no control over. Restless, sleepless nights reveal fright.

I'll tell you, I've known the Lord personally for over 50 years. You would think by now my trust would have grown to the place of rest, not worry. Why is anxiety still so often my default? Believe me, it's not that I don't claim scripture and begin reciting every "fear not" Bible verse, imploring the Lord to fill me with His peace. It's also not that I haven't seen Him provide countless times in the past. He has never failed me yet, and I know His Word to be true. So why? Why am I still so often overwhelmed by fear and worry?

I remember facilitating a Bible study years ago and the topic of fear was being addressed. I will never forget the response of one of the attendees. With confidence she shared that she is never afraid. Never! I recall others in the group mentioning scenarios they felt for sure would cause her to admit some trepidation, but her testimony adhered to a life unhindered by fear. Although I believe this is what God desires, I honestly looked at her in disbelief, amazement and envy. I long for my life to give witness to the assurance I claim I have in the Lord's care for me.

Fear contradicts faith. It denies the sovereignty of God. With the number of repetitions of "do not fear" throughout the Bible, we know two things: we will, but we shouldn't. On our own we can't overcome the worries that awaken us in the night, but God has given us resources to battle this emotional enemy. Fear increases when its source is our focus. To prevail over it we need to meditate on God's promises, presence and power. We need to recognize fear as a catalyst to draw us near to God.

I'm thrilled for the friend I mentioned who never is afraid, but I personally believe it will always exist for me this side of eternity. I don't deny God could miraculously remove all fear from my heart and mind, and I can testify to areas in my life that used to threaten and no longer hold me captive. I think I need to reframe fear. May it's rising be a reminder to rest in the Lord. So, when my physical heart begins racing or skipping beats, may I look to the One who holds each moment of every day in His hands and trust in Him completely.

In closing, did you see what happened to the fearful in our text today? They weren't given a reprimand, they were simply removed from service. That might seem like a safe escape clause, not having to march into battle, but they also forfeited being used by God and seeing His victory. Something for us all to ponder.

post signature

No comments: