Friday, April 5, 2024

The Danger of Abundance

"When you have eaten your fill, be sure to praise the LORD your God for the good land He has given you. But that is the time to be careful! Beware that in your plenty you do not forget the LORD your God..." Deuteronomy 8:10-11a

I have friends who yearly have a one-word focus to mark the 365 days before them. I used to do it. I only recall two words the Lord ever seemed to impress. One was "Pride" (like that was a fun year), and the other "Remember". I haven't participated in this annual themed pursuit in years, but I have a friend whose current word is "Abundance".

I still remember the day she shared it with me. On the surface it seems like such a great word. Who doesn't want abundance? It's defined as possessing a very large quantity. It implies plentifulness and prosperity. To be in abundance means you actually have more than you need, an oversufficiency. The problem with this ample supply is that it can usher in feelings of self-sufficiency.

In fairness, I don't believe my friend was suggesting she wanted to accumulate more. She is a minimalist by nature. She loves the Lord with all her heart, soul and mind. As I've been praying for her abundance, I've been asking the Lord for bountiful, rich, spiritual growth as well as protection from self-reliance. Jesus promises believers an abundant life in John 10:10, and I know that experiencing the presence of His exceedingly more is her heart's desire. The abundance of experiencing God and knowing Him better may bring more pain than prosperity. God's definition of abundance will always result in Christlikeness. However, the truth remains that there are dangers that accompany the blessings of the Lord. 

God, through Moses, cautioned the Israelites that when the Lord brought them into the good land He was giving them, to be certain to remember the Source. He warned them against the pride that often accompanies achievement. "Remember the LORD your God. He is the One who gives you power to be successful". (Deut 8:18a) Anything we attain is always because the hand of the Lord is upon us.

You see, the danger of forgetting to recognize and praise God because of abundance is the temptation to attribute success solely to human effort or merit. There's nothing the enemy loves more than an "I did it" mentality. 

Ten years ago I noticed how often a seven-word slogan kept appearing on social media. It was on t-shirts, wall hangings, bracelets and mugs. "She believed she could so she did." Too many "she's" in there for me. Anything we are able to do is only through the grace and enabling of God in us. It's not about us. "I believe God can and He does!"

Let's guard ourselves from crediting our own resources and ability for abundance. Remember God and His faithfulness. Pray for your heart to remain humble and don't forget to praise Him. May we pray with the Psalmist, "You LORD are all I have, and You give me all I need; my future is in Your hands." (Psalm 16:5)

post signature

No comments: