Friday, May 3, 2024

Finding Spectacular in Simple

"As I was on the road approaching Damascus about noon, a very bright light from heaven suddenly shone down around me." Acts 22:6

In my years of growing up in the church, I've heard some pretty amazing testimonies. Reformed drug addicts and alcoholics. Near death stories resulting in salvation. Prodigals returning home. Paul's transformation described here was no less spectacular. These dramatic conversions draw a lot of attention. Makes my little story seem quite dull in comparison.

My testimony isn't filled with captivating before and after illustrations. As a child I hadn't tried drugs, I'd never wandered from home, been a victim of abuse, surrendered to inappropriate passion or committed a serious crime. Although a light from heaven didn't surround me as it did Paul, I have come to understand something very valuable. A light did shine within me that opened the eyes of a little girl's heart. Beth Moore writes, "Don't think your conversion is meaningless if you don't have a dramatic conversion. Every conversion cost the same amount of Christ's blood shed on the cross. Every conversion was worth the loss of God's only Son to Him. Yours is just as meaningful as the most dramatic conversion ever told."

I grew up in a home where God was central. I had always been taught about Jesus. Teaching at Sunday School, Church and Vacation Bible School all echoed the gospel message and my need for a Saviour. One day when I was about eight years old, I was reading a little fiction book entitled, "Joy Sparton of Parsonage Hill" by Ruth Johnson. The story mirrored mine. As the young protagonist, who shared my name, realized her parent's commitment to the Lord couldn't put her in a right relationship with Christ, I too suddenly understood that I needed to make a personal decision to follow Him. I can still see myself kneeling beside my bed, acknowledging my sins, confessing, repenting and receiving Jesus into my life as my Saviour. 

A couple of years ago I felt led to try and find the author of this children's book that God used so vitally to draw me to Himself. With the copyright of the book being so old I had no idea if she was even still living. I knew at very least she would be in her late 90's. What if she never knew how God and used her stories to impact a life for eternity? Through the Publishing Company I was able to contact her! She was living! I had the sweet gift of letting her know how her storybook had been instrumental in my coming to know Jesus and surrendering my life to Him. 

The day I gave my heart to Jesus and responded to His invitation of salvation, receiving forgiveness for my sins, was very exciting! Just as many angels rejoiced. I am thankful for all God saved me from experiencing. I'm thankful for exposures missed. I'm grateful for opportunities lost. I praise God for less drama and less pain.

Again, Beth Moore writes: "You don't have to see a bright light from heaven to have a story to tell. The determining factor is not how exciting your conversion was but how excited you are now about your conversion. The simplest testimony from a person thankful to be saved is more powerful than the most dramatic testimony from someone who has told it so methodically that it has lost its fervour."

As I think of all the Lord has done for me, God's goodness, faithfulness, forgiveness and provision flood my heart. Oh Lord, may I never take You for granted. I encourage each one of you reading this to tell your testimony. No one can share it better than you. The simplest salvation story is still spectacular!




Beth Moore quote taken from "To Live is Christ: Joining Paul's Journey of Faith"; B&H Books; Copyright 2008

post signature

No comments: