Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Cost of Shrinking Back

"'I never shrank back from telling you what you needed to hear, either publicly or in your homes. I have had one message for Jews and Greeks alike - the necessity of repenting from sin and turning to God, and of having faith in our Lord Jesus...But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God...I declare today that I have been faithful. If anyone suffers eternal death, it's not my fault, for I didn't shrink from declaring all that God wants you to know.'" Acts 20:20-21, 24,26-27

I wonder how many of us could echo Paul's reflection as he meets with the Ephesian elders to give a farewell benediction. The most important aspect of Paul's life was declaring salvation's message at any cost. As Spurgeon expressed, Paul preached a gospel worth dying for. It's something to ponder. Is the truth we claim and proclaim worth dying for?

Paul has a clear conscience. He knows he hasn't hesitated to share truth as he should. Unashamed and unafraid he hasn't held back anything that needed to be addressed and expressed. The eternity of his listeners would not fall on him. He had been faithful to declare the message of salvation with clarity.

Imagine being able to confidently give such a testimony. No regrets. Always speaking up and out, sharing the Good News of the wonderful grace of God at every opportunity. I confess, this has not been me. 

My mind drifts back almost twenty years ago. I had been doing life with a new friend. We met because of the friendship that had developed through our sons. The boys were in the same classroom at school and because of their association, “M” and I started to spend more and more time together. She was open with me that she was not a Christ-follower, but she was very receptive to anything I shared with her. In fact, she and her husband appreciated our lifestyle so much, and being estranged from their own immediate family, we were actually asked to become guardians of their son should anything ever necessitate that need. Maybe that should have been a "red flag", but it wasn't.

I'll never forget one visit. She and her son had come to our home so the boys could spend some time together. Although it was quite cold out, “M” wanted to have a cigarette so she suggested we sit on the front porch. She seemed anxious. Nervous. I knew she struggled with depression and was in the middle of some medical testing. She expressed her fear. I shared with her about the peace we can experience through Jesus. I still remember her reply, "Maybe that is what I'm missing from my life."

Instead of pushing for a decision, we chatted a few more minutes before returning inside the house. I was excited that she was becoming more open to these faith-filled conversations, and I thought, "Next time, I'll share a little more." Sadly, there was no next time. Approximately one week later she took her own life to the shock of all. Her husband's phone call fell on me like a wrecking ball. I can only hope that in the last moments of her life the Lord called her to Himself.

Unlike Paul, I shrank back. I neglected to seize the opportunity when the harvest was sitting beside me. Satan's most effective tool is having people believe they have plenty of time. I can't take that moment back, but I can use it as a reminder not to ever let it happen again. Never assume there will be a "next time". Paul finished the work assigned to him by the Lord Jesus and remained faithful to his mission. Will you?


post signature

No comments: