Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Jonathan Friends

"Tell me what I can do to help you,' Jonathan exclaimed." 1 Samuel 20:4

Jonathan and David's friendship is truly unique. It has been criticized, dramatized, analyzed, yet still recognized as one of the most loyal and encouraging examples of two individuals in scripture. Jonathan, at great risk to his own safety, vowed to remain committed to David, asking God to destroy all of David's enemies, knowing his own father Saul was one of them. Jonathan was content to play a supporting role as friend to the next reigning ruler. By being David's champion, Jonathan strengthened both a king and a kingdom. 

Jonathan friends. We all need them. These are the dear ones who don't wait, or ask, they just show up at our door and simply say, "Tell me what I can do to help you". Knowing there is a need they come to meet it. They get their hands messy, travelling down our dirt roads. The dust on their feet is testimony of their close proximity to each weary walker.

Jonathan friends hear more than words. They listen to longings of the heart and act. As I've reflected over the characteristics of such a sojourner in life, acknowledging that undeservedly I have been blessed with many, I think primarily they are the hands and feet of Christ in practical ways to us. It's through them we encounter Jesus. Their ministry at a time of desperation is never forgotten.

I'll always remember the day my doorbell rang, and in walked a precious friend who had come to share her life and gifts with me. Aware of anxiety on my heart she encouraged me to sit comfortably in my rocker while she walked over to my piano. I closed my eyes as she began to play worship music, lifting her voice in song. The lyrics that spoke of God's presence filled my heart, and my home. It was one of the most beautiful demonstrations of Christ-likeness that I have ever received. She was willing to fight through her own insecurities to come and selflessly encourage me.

These friends are like the stretcher bearers in the New Testament who just grab a corner of our "mat" and carry us so that we know we aren't doing life alone. I recall other friends who just "showed up" at hospitals or nursing homes with home-cooked meals, knowing my family and I hadn't made time to eat in the middle of the crisis we were experiencing. The neighbour who knocked on my door just days after Gord's cardiac arrest and said, "I'm here to take your garbage out." They know our minds aren't functioning at their best and they come to look after the forgotten details of day-to-day living. Without even asking they cut the grass, shovel the snow, deliver groceries, prepare meals, share clothing, repair fences, build decks and supply transportation.

Another characteristic of Jonathan friends is that they pray. They don't just say they will pray, they seize the moment, right then, right now to come alongside in agreement, storming heaven on our behalf. Prayer is not just something they promise to do, but an immediate response as they take your hand and bow with you in God's throne room. Prayer indicates knowing, not details of the entire situation, but of the God who alone can intervene. Prayer says I believe with you that the Lord has power over apparent, current impossibilities and He is able. Together we will trust Him to provide. Corridors. Hallways. Parks. Department stores. Check-out lines. Gas stations. All can become sacred spaces and holy encounters.

How can you be a Jonathan friend today? I guarantee you there is someone in your circle in need of what you have to give. David's life was spared by the sacrificial friendship of Jonathan. As Christ sacrificed His life for us, loving us, pursuing us, we can find ways to extend this kind of friendship to others. As we look to our perfect Friend, Jesus, He enables us to be a Jonathan friend to those He purposefully places in our life. 

"Tell me what I can do to help you."


post signature

No comments: