Thursday, December 31, 2009

Clearer Vision

“Then I saw…” Revelation 21:1

Just as John shared his visions of “a new heaven and a new earth”, I’ve been reflecting over all the Lord has shown me this past year as I’ve walked daily through His Word. I too have seen the Lord in the pages of Genesis to Revelation.

I believe Aaron Jeoffrey says it best in his writing, “He Is”. As you read the following, stop and pause. Have you met Him on each line and in each phrase as we've walked a sacred journey this year?

He Is
by Aaron Jeoffrey

In Genesis, He's the breath of life
In Exodus, the Passover Lamb
In Leviticus, He's our High Priest
Numbers, The fire by night
Deuteronomy, He's Moses' voice
In Joshua, He is salvation's choice
Judges, law giver
In Ruth, the kinsmen-redeemer
First and Second Samuel, our trusted prophet
In Kings and Chronicles, He's sovereign
Ezra, the true and faithful scribe
Nehemiah, He's the rebuilder of broken walls and lives
In Esther, He's Mordecai's courage
In Job, the timeless redeemer
In Psalms, He is our morning song
In Proverbs, wisdom's cry
Ecclesiastes, the time and season
In the Song of Solomon, He is the lover's dream
He is, He is, HE IS!
In Isaiah, He's Prince of Peace
Jeremiah, the weeping prophet
In Lamentations, the cry for Israel
Ezekiel, He's the call from sin
In Daniel, the stranger in the fire
In Hosea, He is forever faithful
In Joel, He's the Spirits power
In Amos, the arms that carry us
In Obadiah, He's the Lord our Savior
In Jonah, He's the great missionary
In Micah, the promise of peace
In Nahum, He is our strength and our shield
In Habakkuk and Zephaniah, He's pleading for revival
In Haggai, He restores a lost heritage
In Zechariah, our fountain
In Malachi, He is the son of righteousness rising with healing in His wings
He is, He is, HE IS!
In Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, He is God, Man, Messiah
In the book of Acts, He is fire from heaven
In Romans, He's the grace of God
In Corinthians, the power of love
In Galatians, He is freedom from the curse of sin
Ephesians, our glorious treasure
Philippians, the servants heart
In Colossians, He's the Godhead Trinity
Thessalonians, our coming King
In Timothy, Titus, Philemon He's our mediator and our faithful Pastor
In Hebrews, the everlasting covenant
In James, the one who heals the sick.
In First and Second Peter, he is our Shepherd
In John and in Jude, He is the lover coming for His bride
In the Revelation, He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords
He is, He is, HE IS!
The prince of peace
The Son of man
The Lamb of God
The great I AM
He's the alpha and omega
Our God and our Savior
He is Jesus Christ the Lord and when time is no more
He is, HE IS!

As I've pondered all the ways that I have seen the Lord this year, another truth has been unveiled. I saw the Lord, but He also saw me. He saw the days I awoke extra early, anticipating His Word with excitement. He saw the days when sun had almost set before I made time for Him. He saw each joy and sorrow. He heard each laugh and held each tear. He captured each thought and knew each word. He never took His eyes off of me for one second. He was my Beginning and End of 2009.

Sharing with you over this past year has been a pure delight. You have so often been champion, encourager, listener, accountability partner, prayer warrior, teacher, but most of all friend. It's hard saying 'goodbye', yet it's to answer a call to God's new 'hello'.

"I'm not sure anything has ever been harder for me - the utterance of goodbyes, the playing out of them, their finality, their void, their distance. Yet there are some distances, some chasms, some signing offs that are purely necessary for life to blossom. Certain things...keep us from new hellos. They deserve a farewell." "Still we cling because the...familiar is often more comfortable than the foreign amazing." (Kelly Minter, "No Other Gods")

God is asking me to take hold of the passing of a new torch for next years race. Just as each Olympic runner only holds this symbol of the race for a brief time, the igniting of the flame of our life is short. Our days are numbered. The distance of each run already determined. We must run with excellence and obedience. The Lord is leading down a different path for 2010, but one day I pray I'll meet you all at the Finish Line. Let's keep running to win.

"As surely as the ones which passed - we've miles left to go
Despite your inconsistencies, Oh, child, I'll love you so
You'll one day hold this journal, too and think of where you've been
Ink-filled pages tying those beginnings to their ends
You'll find those same old words - they'll puzzle you again
Lined face will sigh and wonder,
'And I thought I loved you then.'"
(Beth Moore, final stanza of "The Journal".)

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace.
Amen. So be it. Amen.



post signature

12 comments:

Sue said...

Thank you Joy! I have enjoyed following you this year as you 'pondered in His presence', and I look forward to reading more of your writings in 2010.

Sharon Sloan said...

God will bless you and lead you as you continue to obey Him! Thank you Joy!

I love "He Is"! Never saw that before.

His richest blessings to you for 2010!

Love,
Sharon

Elle Elle said...

What a blessing we have in you, Joy.

Praying for you as you prepare and as God prepares you.

The verse God led me to for 2010 is from Hosea 2:14

I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her.

I sense you are receiving a similar call. A call to a powerful witness, a witness of gentleness and tenderness, of total transparency.

It will indeed be exciting for us to meet, and I hear God's whisper that one day soon, we will.

God be with you always and in all ways,

Liz
AK

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Your final prayer is one that came to me in a dream last evening; I was having to "let go" of a 3 year old child I had taken care of and dearly loved and place him into the hands of his birth parents (I know...odd dream); anyway, as I was "letting go", I was praying the Aaronic benediction over his precious frame.

"May the Lord bless you and keep you..."

I can't think of a more apt way to bring this season of writing to a close, friend. You've been faithful, and now it's time to move on. Not from God, but with God into the new heights and adventures he has for you.

I can't wait to see what he's going to birth in you and through you in 2010. It's been my privilege and "joy" to share in the journey, Joy. As always...

peace~elaine

Kathy Schwanke said...

Beautiful words again. I feel like I am missing something though. Are you leaving blogging or something? What are you saying good bye to that is making you sad?

Since I haven't been regular, I may have missed some news, or perhaps I am just misunderstanding.

I rejoice to have the privelege of getting to know you this year and see the Lord show His glory through your trial with your dad and your flaming torch of faith that you carried through it.

God's bountiful blessings to you in this new year!
Love to you!
Kathy

~Grace and Peace said...

Thank you for the gift of Aaron Jeoffrey's piece. I have never seen that before. I look forward to reading through the bible in 2010 and seeing Jesus in each book. Chuck Missler often says, "The New Testament is in the Old Testament concealed, The Old Testament is in the New Testament revealed."
If we dig deep enough, we find that it is true.

I wish you well in your new journey. I was sadenned to realize that like little Much Afraid, I, too, wanted you, Joy, as my companion up the mountain. Alas, it is not meant to be. I am not too sure about Sorrow and Suffering. But we all must go up our mountains with the guides He choose for us. And if He chose them, then they must be the best fit. Only trust (talking to myself now).

One last thing, I remember Dr. Missler mentioned in one of our classes that if there is something in the scripture that we do not understand to keep a journal. Then when the answer comes, to write it down and note the date. He said it's important because when you come in the valley of doubts or despair, you can recount the footprints of the Holy Spirit as He taught you. The Lord certainly prepared you for this new chapter in your walk. Because looking back, your obedience has recorded 365 days of ponderings to help you through whatever comes next.

Blessings to you, dear sister. Your father certainly knew what he was doing when he named you. You have been an absolute JOY.

((((HUGS))))

Love in Christ,
~T

Karen said...

Joy,

If you are going away in 2010, I will miss your wisdom. I pray that you will be richly blesses in all or your endeavors! My you find what your heart seeks!

But remember also, there is no good-bye (especially on the internet). There is only until we meet again.

Love,

Karen

Lori said...

Sweet Joy, You've been a treasure to me like no other! Your blogs has been apart my day. I've leaned on you for wisdom and daily application. You've taught me to look at the Bible and apply it. I've learned we're not to just read and know it, but to live it out in our day. No matter what you were faced with this year, you always found a truth to hold on to. What an inspiration you have been to me! Thank you dear friend! You're leaving the comfortable and obeying His lead. I know we will meet up at the finish race one day, as our eyes are focused on the One. :) Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Love, hugs, & prayer's coming your way, Lori

Brandee said...

Joy we will miss you very much but we all know that you have to go with the Lord's lead in your life. Your writing has blessed me so much and I am so honored to call you friend. I will "see" you on facebook. Blessings to you and your family in 2010 as God continues you in His great adventure!

Love, Brandee

Joan Hall said...

Joy - I found your blog at mid-year, and I have enjoyed reading your posts. They have truly been a blessing.

May God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your precious nuggets this past year! I will sure miss your wisdom. You are truly a blessing!
Karen-central OR

Anonymous said...

Joy, I wanted to clarify what I said on my last post about missing your wisdom. I meant I will miss your input on the daily reading of the bible this year. I look forward to reading your blog to see how you are pondering in His presence this year. You have been and will continue to be a great encourager to me. I am thankful you will be continuing this blog!
Karen - central OR