Friday, December 4, 2009

Fateful Choice of Convenience

“As he reasoned with them about righteousness and self-control and the coming day of judgment, Felix became frightened. ‘Go away for now,’ he replied. ‘When it is more convenient, I’ll call for you again.’” Acts 24:25

Wanting a time that was more convenient, I kept putting it off and putting it off. Finally I had convenienced myself out of a wonderful opportunity, while waiting for the perfect moment. I lost out, and it was too late. The opportunity was gone.

Convenience. A time more suited to our comfort, purpose or need.

Do you know there is no record of Felix ever finding a future “convenient” time to receive God?

Author Denis Waitley says, “there is not such thing as a future decision. You face only present decisions that will affect what will happen in the future.”

Author Ann Mainse writes, “…putting off the most important decision of your life is indeed dangerous procrastination.”

Satan’s most effective tool is having people believe they have plenty of time. We need to choose life today. 2 Corinthians 6:2 encourages, “Today is the day of salvation.”

I’ve heard it said that the tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Waiting on convenience we miss the joy of obedience and the acceptance of repentance. Maybe it’s not convenient, but what if Christ had felt the same way as He faced the cross? My salvation came because Jesus inconvenienced Himself for me.



post signature

5 comments:

Renee Swope said...

Another insightful truth Joy! I am really learning about the power of "now" in this season of life. Each day brings something new so I'm finding out how important it is for me to cease the good times God brings - just in case something hard is coming around the corner :-).

Praying for you and your family as you spend your morning at the hospital too.

Love you!
Renee

~Grace and Peace said...

Ouch, straight to my guilty ever procrastinatin' heart! I think God is trying to tell me something. (And it involves a certain room in my house that needs more than a pathway to maneuver. Must tackle today. When I get home. Maybe.)

Think how many people pass on to the next life regretting that they did not make the decision for Christ? It quickens my heart more to pray for my beloved ones to hear Jesus knocking in their hearts.

Just glanced over at Renee's comment and saw the word "hospital." Pausing to lift you and your family up in prayer.

On Purpose said...

I am VERY thankful for His inconvenienced moments!

Deb said...

Today.

Today, I want to choose Him.

Even if I think it's inconvenient for me at the moment.

Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Sweet dreams.

Laura said...

So true. There is no better time than the present, right? I know this has been true for me when I ignore the Holy Spirit.

Good words here, Joy.