Monday, December 14, 2009

What's Age Got To Do With It?

Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12

Earlier this year my son was offered a specific ministry opportunity, but because he felt he was too young to respond he missed out on doing something he thoroughly enjoys. How we need to find that balance between encouragement and expectation. To spur our children on to greatness without demanding genius. We want our young people to live to their full potential without being paralyzed by perfectionism.

Just a couple of days ago I was admitting I was a perfectionist. My standards are high and I am most likely my own worst enemy.

I read recently of a would-be author being questioned by a psychologist. The psychologist asked the writer the following question, “You can write a good book, can’t you?” She said, paraphrased, the true question here was “Do you have to do something great? Can you be happy to do something really good?” The desire for great disables and dismisses good.

Don’t misunderstand. We always want to give God our best, but is our motivation pure? God wants our words, way and walk to be an example to others. It’s not about seniority, but sensitivity to His voice. A list of accolades pale beside abiding. Obedience trumps knowledge.

Many of you reading this are years younger than me. You are my example. Your enthusiasm, passion and love for the Lord is evident. Continue to model Christlikeness. Age has nothing to do with usage.



post signature

4 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Joy,

Seems that we are reading the same mail. Over at The Point, I am sharing my own story of my journey with perfectionism and anorexia. The messages that we allow into our minds can be instructive or destructive....it is so vey much up to us.

Leah

Zoe Elmore said...

Always love reading your words of wisdom. Merriest Chirstmas Blessings to you my joyful friend!!

~Grace and Peace said...

My dear Joy,

Thank you for the nuggets this morning. I love:
*To spur our children on to greatness without demanding genius.
*We want our young people to live to their full potential without being paralyzed by perfectionism.
*A list of accolades pale beside abiding.
*Obedience trumps knowledge.
*Age has nothing to do with usage.

Amen, sister.

On Purpose said...

Words of wisdom come from Him...not us or our age! What a beautiful reminder you have spoken to my heart today!