Thursday, December 10, 2009

It's Not About Me

"...consider others..." Philippians 2:3

Yesterday was a day filled with prayer requests. Big requests. Demanding needs. Hurt. Pain. Loss. Confusion. Hope deferred. Heartache. Tears. Questions.

Hearing of circumstances and situations that others are currently facing gave me a fresh dose of perspective. I have recently had my eyes selfishly fixed on me, myself and I. Personal stress has blocked my view and kept me self-centered instead of ministering to others. I have been so consumed with my own anxieties that I have missed opportunities to show compassion and genuine concern to others. I have now turned the magnifying glass from my heart and I'm looking into the eyes of others. Coming along side their suffering. Shedding a tear with them. Listening. Embracing.

It took a completely selfless prayer request from a special friend to grab my attention. Father forgive me for the many times I've neglected those so dear to me and been more concerned about my own interests. Lord teach me how to reach out with Your love.



post signature

2 comments:

~Grace and Peace said...

You're having that kind of week, too? My in-box has been filled with prayer request after prayer request. A boy with a malignant brain tumor, a father-in-law whose nosebleed won't stop for days, news about a former co-worker who didn't tell anyone she had cancer and passed away the other night, and many, many more. On one hand I am honored to lift these up in prayer. On the other hand, it just makes me sad. But you're right, the focus need to be off of ourselves and to others. Prayer is helping. Prayer opens the gates of heaven. Prayer works. We must not tire, dear sister. Press on.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a week I have had...know so many people that are hurting,