Friday, November 22, 2013

A Tender Branch


My heart has been quite touched by the following verse in my reading this morning:

"There is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease."  Job 14:7

Does that speak life into anyone else?

Some words have a way of touching me deeply, and the use of "tender" is stirring emotions.  Defined as easily crushed or bruised; fragile; vulnerable, frail, delicate, sensitive; easily damaged, gentle, requiring care in handling; breakable.

Haven't we all been there at some point?

Reading the verse again, I see that the "tree" has been cut down.  I'm imagining a life that has severed it's once life-giving attachment to the Life-Giver.  For whatever reason, they have wandered away.  They have separated themselves from family, friends and fellowship.  But, this Scripture speaks of hope sprouting.  To sprout is to come forth again and grow.

How does this happen?

There's a tender branch that will not cease.

What is that tender branch?  I'm envisioning teaching from loving parents.  A sweet Sunday School teacher who imparted truths at a young age.  Generations of praying grandparents.  A relentless friend who continues to share her faith despite despondency.  And the tender root of Jesse Who's Spirit is still breathing, hidden deeply in the core of the tree, not letting go.

I don't know how this is resonating with you, but it is giving hope to me.  Hope to continue persistent in prayer for the tender branch to sprout again in the lives of a few trees I know that have been cut down.

post signature

No comments: