Monday, February 12, 2024

"I Want It"

"Moses responded, 'Then show me Your glorious presence.'" Exodus 33:18

One of my little 2-year-old grandson's first phrases was "I want it." Whether it be a toy, cookie, or item someone else is using, his precious wee voice quietly communicates his wish for something he doesn't possess.

Desires. Wants. Asks. Anything less than praying to see the Lord falls incredibly short. Moses asked that God reveal His glory, or as rendered in the New Living Translation, His glorious presence. It was quite a bold request, but how do we define his entreaty?

I recently completed a Bible study that asked this question: "Have you ever thought about the glory of God? Christians love to talk about the glory of God, but what exactly does it mean?" How would you answer that question?

John Piper describes God's glory as the manifest beauty of His holiness. It's the "going public" of His godliness as He puts His holiness on display. God's glory is His external splendor and majesty. It's the demonstration of His presence, character and attributes. God Himself equates His glory with all His goodness (see Exodus 33:19).

This is what Moses longed to see. Although Moses talked with God as one speaks to a friend (Exodus 33:11), it wasn't enough. He wasn't satisfied. He had an insatiable thirst. In essence he said to God, "I want it." He desperately desired to know the Lord in greater and deeper ways. Whatever he had experienced with God prior wasn't sufficient. He wanted more. He was asking God to bring Him another step nearer.

God rewards a seeking heart. Although Moses couldn't see fully, the Lord let him see in part, and as He passed by, Yahweh revealed, concealed, protected and blessed. (Exodus 33:19-23)

Do you desire to see God Himself? What do you think God would do if you daily asked Him to show you His glory?

"Oh God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of further desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee. I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, 'rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.' Then give me grace to rise up and follow Thee, up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen." A. W. Tozer

Bible study question taken from "Through the Desert, A Study on God's Faithfulness" by Dr. Lina Abujamra, Copyright Esther Press, 2023

post signature

No comments: