Wednesday, February 28, 2024

The Edges

"When you harvest the crops of your land, do not harvest the grain along the edges of your fields, and do not pick up what the harvesters drop. It is the same with your grape crop - do not strip every last bunch of grapes from the vines, and do not pick up the grapes that fall to the ground. Leave them for the poor and the foreigners living among you. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:9-10

Entering the parking lot of the grocery store yesterday, sitting just to the side of the driveway was a woman dressed in Arab attire. Her head was hanging down and she held a sign with words written in smaller print, but I did see "help", "children" and "God bless you." It's not uncommon to see the homeless or those in need in certain areas of town, but this was the first time I've ever seen anyone at this location. As I parked the car, I was wondering her story, and thinking how I rarely carry cash anymore. With credit and debit becoming the primary means of payment during Covid, I almost never have money in my wallet.

I loved reading about the built-in provision for the needy that God commanded in Leviticus. By not completely harvesting the fields, God was making a way for the poor to come and gather food. It was the first welfare program in action. And this wasn't the only assistance the impoverished received. In Deuteronomy God commanded that every three years a special offering be collected for the relief of the poor (Deut 14:28-29, 26:12-15).

The directions in God's law not only promoted generosity in the hearts of the farmers, but the poor and the foreigner were given dignity as they actively worked to provide for their own food. They didn't have to face the embarrassment and ridicule of begging. They were compassionately looked after by the command of God.

So, back to the grocery store. Exiting the building and walking back to my car I looked over to where this woman had been just a few minutes earlier. The scene I saw was so tender to my heart. Two young women had parked near where this lady sat. They had invited her to load her meager belongings into their car. Engaged in conversation they were walking with her towards the grocery store, I'm assuming to make some purchases on her behalf. Although this was all so tender to my heart, what primarily captivated my attention was the look on the woman's face. It appeared as it every care she had was lifted. She was smiling and talking. Her head raised. It was the most beautiful scene. I wanted to run over and hug the two young women. This lady had the joy of not only having physical needs met, but the delight of being seen and the companionship of two new friends.

I'm thinking the warmth of care and conversation will last longer than the donation of any amount of cash. Today may we have eyes to see and a heart to respond to the poor and the foreigner living among us. Lord take us to the "edges" that all may encounter You.

post signature

No comments: