Thursday, February 15, 2024

The Look of the Lord

"Then He (Jesus) turned to His critics and asked, 'Does the law permit good deeds on the Sabbath, or is it a day for doing evil? Is this a day to save life or to destroy it?' But they wouldn't answer Him. He looked around at them angrily and was deeply saddened by their hard hearts." Mark 3:4-5a

When I was a little girl Sundays were a very different day. Careful preparation was always given so that there would be no need to run to the corner store for necessities such as milk or bread. The option of shopping at a mall didn't exist as they were closed. Saturday night my dad always made sure his car was filled with gas. After attending church Sunday morning, the afternoon held restrictions. I couldn't go out and play. My sister and I would spend quiet time in our bedrooms while our parents rested. I never resented the limitations my parents imposed, actually loving that one day of the week was so distinct in such a special way.

With God's command to "keep the Sabbath day, for it is a holy day for you" (Exodus 31:14) echoing in my head, over the years it has been a challenge to move from a legalistic mindset to more liberty. I still desire to have a day that is "set apart" for the Lord. For many Christ-followers, Sundays are often treated more like Saturdays with optional church attendance thrown into the mix. So, what to do, what not to do?

This morning I felt the Lord's look as I read the key verses above. I know I have deeply saddened His heart in the past, judging others by their activity on Sundays. Let me make it clear, I do still strongly believe that nothing should take precedence over gathering together as the family of God and worshipping the Lord on the Sabbath. Too often the day competes with sporting events, beautiful weather, and all manner of other "commitments". Our first and foremost commitment when it comes to Sunday, must be to the Lord. (As an aside, read Eric Liddell's story if in doubt about taking a stand for keeping the Sabbath. God truly does honour those who honour Him in this obedience.)

So, what about the rest of the day? Matthew 12:12 calls us to "do good on the Sabbath." David Guzik writes, "Human need is more important than religious ritual." The Sabbath is a gift. I don't want to demean the first thing God called 'holy' and at the same time I don't want to deny an opportunity to do something that would bless another. 

I think we might all need to re-evaluate our response to this special day. Let's prayerfully ask God to guide, redirecting any activity or thought out of alignment with His desires. Lord, soften my heart to Your will and way. There is never a wrong day to do a good thing. "Any application of the Sabbath law which operates to the detriment of man is out of harmony with God's purpose." (Morgan)

"Then Jesus said to them, 'The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord, even over the Sabbath!'" (Mark 2:27-28)

No comments: