Sunday, February 4, 2024

Soul Talk

"Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation." Psalm 35:3

How do you talk to yourself about yourself? Recently a friend and I were talking about the conversations we have in our heads. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us are probably quite critical of ourselves. We see every fault. Know every failure. Feel every hurt. We allow other people's words and actions to define us, often becoming excessively sensitive to their remarks. We overanalyze every phrase and scrutinize every silence. We make one error and suddenly our entire lives are a mistake. We become our own worst enemy as our self-talk nourishes despair.

There are so many times in life when we need God to speak His truth to our soul. We need the assurance of God's words. We can live in victory, overcome challenges, defeat our enemies and continue on when we are confident that God is our salvation.

In this Imprecatory Psalm, David knew where to go when doubts and fears were surmounting. Surrounded by enemies who were attacking without cause, he knew there was only one voice that could say the words his soul was desperate to hear. Although our friends can offer encouragement, their consoling isn't enough to calm or convince a doubting, heavy heart. Past the surface to the soul, we need deep, unmistakable, divine whispers.

There are times when my soul hungers to know indisputably and personally that I am His and He is mine. I need my inner being to receive echoes of grace and peace that quiet and still the storms of insecurity. I need the "I AM" of my salvation in the present moment to fill me with His truth.

A soul having received this confirmation responds with joy. "And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord. It shall rejoice in His salvation." (Psalm 35:9) The situation may not have changed, but God has spoken blessed assurance to our spirit. Rejoicing is evidence of a soul that has not only heard but listened and believed. Let the Saviour and Shepherd restore your today. (Psalm 23:5)

post signature

No comments: