Sunday, February 11, 2024

Singing His Song

"But each day the LORD pours His unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing His songs, praying to God who gives me life." Psalm 43:8

Not sure if it is just an aging thing, but sleeping through the night is rare. Thankfully I'm initially able to fall asleep relatively quickly, but most nights I awaken at some point and it could be hours before I drift back to any slumber.

What do you do when sleep eludes you? To quote lyrics from a song in the holiday Classic "White Christmas", "When I'm worried, and I can't sleep, I count my blessings, instead of sheep, And I fall asleep, counting my blessings." Certainly, recalling God's many gifts of grace to us can reframe our thoughts and help us rest in His goodness even when worry isn't the cause of our sleeplessness.

Here the Psalmist, though overwhelmed by circumstances and sorrow, is encouraging us through his own experience to remember God's steadfast love that is greater than any earthly struggle. His lovingkindness follows us every moment of every day. He lavishes His goodness and we are drenched in undeserved favour. 

Knowing this brings peace to our hearts during restless nights, whether literal evening and early morning hours, or seasons of affliction and distress. Miseries can be forgotten in the mercy of the Lord. Our hearts can remain thankful, singing the Lord's song because of His love and salvation. The praise and prayer being lifted is joy-filled as the Psalmist delights in God who gives him life.

Worship offered from weary souls. Some of the sweetest songs can only be sung in the night. There are beautiful prayers that find their best voice in the dark. 

I can't help but think of a testimony I heard many years ago. Overcome by disappointment and countless prayers not being answered as hoped, this dear friend, awake in the night, began with quivering, quaking voice to sing in the dark: "In moments like these I sing out a song, I sing out a love song to Jesus. In moments like these I lift up my hands, I lift up my hands to the Lord, Singing I love You Lord, Singing I love You Lord, Singing I love You Lord, I love You." I listened with tears running down my face. This is a response of love. This is singing His songs and praising in prayer to the One who gives us life.

"In Moments Like These" written by David Graham

post signature

No comments: