Friday, October 11, 2013

An "a-ah" Moment

"Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness." Genesis 15:6

You know, sometimes I think for those of us who grew up in the church since birth, we can sadly become too accustomed to hearing familiar Bible verses or passages.  Listening to the same story since nursery days, we sit back comfortably when we recognize the telling of a tale we have often heard repeated.  We almost check that one off in our head, yep, heard that before, and then check out our mind from fully concentrating this time around.  But here's the thing, if you're anything like me, regardless of how many times you've heard a story repeated, God can breathe a new Word because of a new work He is doing in your life.

Sitting in my Bible study class last night that's exactly what happened to me. We were looking at Genesis 15.  Here we read about God's covenant to Abram.  Though Abram's wife of many years still remains barren, God promises descendants more numerous than the stars in the heavens.  Here's where the oft quoted verse appeared: "Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness."

What was counted as righteousness?  Abram's belief.  I know that's pretty straight forward, but stay with me for a second.  Before you too brush this off casually, do you realize what this means?  God remembers the times we believe Him, not the times our faith falters.  He is not keeping records of failures.  He's not tallying the times we lose sight, but the times we choose right!  Whenever we make a faith choice to believe God, He sees and acknowledges that we are trusting Him.

OK, so some may be saying, "well, that was just for Abram"...oh, but wait.  I was hoping you'd say that (*smile*).  In Romans 4:23-24, Paul writes, "The words 'it was credited to him' were written not for him alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness - for us who believe in him..." (italics mine).  WOW!

It's made me really stop and think.  Where have I chosen faith?  I mean really chosen faith?  Faith that goes beyond the "I can" to "God must".  Fear so often is the enemy that keeps me from all the Lord is longing to show me.  I think of what might even appear as small trusts that would demonstrate huge faith.  Those areas of struggle that others could easily obey or surrender, but they attack as personal strongholds.  Don't calculate your faith steps by comparison.  God designs steps of faith individually.  David's sling.  Moses staff. Abraham's sacrifice.  Peter's sea-legs.  :-)

What has God spoken to you lately that you are struggling to receive?  BELIEVE!  God will credit it to you as righteousness. Even now He is uncapping His pen and opening His book of remembrance.  I wonder how many volumes we could fill with faith stories before He calls us home.  

post signature

2 comments:

Cheri Bunch said...

Wow, Joy! Tears! Your message went straight to me heart and moved in! Thank you so much for sharing this. It is a word from the Lord to me. You have strengthened me with it, my sister. I cannot thank you enough!
I love you!
God bless you!
Because He lives,
Cheri

Kathy Schwanke said...

This is awesome and yet another dovetailing of our lives and message from God. I was honored to have lunch with my friend Susie Larson today and be on her radio show. Her message contained this truth: God forgets all our sin, and remembers every act of faith...

So glorious! Just peruse Hebrews 11...Honoring His fallible ones with stories of their great faith.

I've been thinking we should have a phone chat sometime. SO glad you are blogging again!!! Sister! :)