Monday, October 28, 2013

Celebrating Mom!

"Let's celebrate together!"  Matthew 25:21,23

It's a day of celebration.  My precious mother turns 88 years of age today.

When I think of my mom, so many words come to mind.  Loving.  Prayerful.  Disciplined.  Faithful.  Devoted.  Caring.  Giving.  Self-sacrificing.  Gracious.  Hospitable.  Tender-hearted.  Gentle.  Encouraging.  Supportive.  Godly.

Her life has changed a lot in the past year.  She has gone from taking care of her house with her precious husband for just shy of 70 years, to selling the family home, moving into a long-term care facility and the passing of her Prince Charming.  She has done so with a strength that has been incredible to all walking with her.  A strength that will continue to carry her into this next year of living.  A strength that only comes through her personal Lord and Savior.

Shortly after daddy passed away she declared to me one day, "I am not going to sit here, shrivel up and die."  No, mom has no intention of fading into the background.  She has prayed that the Lord would make her "faithful in the land of her affliction" and is living, as my sister would say, in A.W.E. - "aging with enthusiasm"!

Mom attends exercise classes, Senior Saint luncheons, monthly Mission Circle meetings, as well as most recently registering for 2 hours of weekly Conversational French Lessons.  In addition to all of this, we have joked that the nursing home could retire a few of it's full-time staff since mom's arrival.  She sweetly encourages others who have lost their appetite, to eat.  She looks after some of the lesser needs of the ladies on her floor.  She spends time with those who don't receive visitors.  She often has some small treats that bring a smile to those going through a difficult day. She always shares Jesus in Word and deed.

With the simple act of hiding her face in her hands, daily mom enters her "prayer closet".  Her life may be reduced to one-room living, but from her chair, with eyes closed, she prays for the needs of many, including her own.  Mom has always been a prayer warrior.  As long as I can remember, mom has been rising each morning by 4:00am to spend time with her Lord, studying His Word and lifting her family and loved ones to Him in prayer.  Her days begin and end with prayer.  Unable to kneel, her heart still bows before His throne each day.  It's our heart posture the Lord is most concerned about anyway.

Today will bring mixed feelings and emotion.  Mom's first birthday since the passing of daddy.  A difficult day for us all.  Dad always made every day special and his presence will be missed, but we are thankful for so many memories. Daddy would most often surprise mom on her birthday by scheduling the day off work and taking her out to some grand place for breakfast, then a day of shopping at one of her favourite out-of-town malls.  Although I would never have called my dad a shopper, he adored my mom and enjoyed being with her, even if that meant spending time in and out of stores.  Both my parents are expert window shoppers and holding hands they would spend millions of dollars, mostly on others, as they enjoyed imagining how they would bless friends and family should they have the resources.  Yes, daddy would have made today special.

So, it's up to us daughters!  Keeping up tradition, mom will indeed head out for breakfast and then we will see how she would like to spend the remainder of her day.  No doubt some cake will be involved.  I will celebrate the gift of my precious mom today.

For those of you reading this who are blessed to still have your mom living, as a gift to my mom, will  you contact you mom today and just tell her you love her?  Then, come back here and let us know you did. I will share that blessing with my mom.  If your mom has passed away, would you leave a comment of blessing for my mom today?  She will receive it in honour and representative for the precious life your mom lived.  I know it's not Mother's Day, but let's celebrate moms today!


My sister Japhia is to the left, then mom, my sister Sharon and me.

PS.  I have to share one more thing.  After writing this, I opened up the Devotional Journal I use daily and the heading for today was "The Blessings of Aging".  No one can ever convince me that God is not 100% aware of every moment of every day!  That is not a coincidence!  Can't wait to share that with my mom :-)

post signature

2 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Just got off the phone with my mom! I call her most every day and was able to spend some time with her last week. I'm going to make it a monthly visit if at all possible. Happy Birthday to your precious mom. Just thinking of her in her room praying is sweet balm to my soul tonight. I love her faith!

peace~elaine

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

What a sweet, sweet post today! I lost my Mama when I was sixteen and am more and more looking forward to the day when I will see her once again in heaven! How precious that you and your sisters can all get together with your mother today. She sounds like a wonderful lady! A great example for all of us to strive for!
Am reading this late so hope that your day was a grand one!
God bless you!
Marilyn