Friday, October 4, 2013

The God of Compassion

"Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love." Lamentations 3:32

Visiting with a dear friend today, we were talking about what the Lord has been teaching us lately. As I shared with her where I most need to experience His power right now, I realized something.  Although He may ask us to walk a difficult path, He blesses our obedience along the way with His mercy.

Lately I've had to make very deliberate, intentional decisions in order to remain faithful to His Word.  They have not been easy.  Following the Lord isn't always easy.  Yet, as I've surrendered to Him, making choices that have been extremely hard, with each relinquishing of my will in exchange for His, God has confirmed my steps and brought sweet moments of compassion.

Compassion is defined as expressing deep sympathy for another to alleviate suffering.  The power of sharing the feelings of another.  Who but the Lord could have the power to fully share in our feelings of grief, desiring to lessen our load and make it easier to bear.  He knows the way is often hard to understand, yet when we choose obedience I know it must delight His heart.

What births His compassion?  His great, unfailing love.  When suffering settles over our heart, His love breaks through our tears and doubts and we meet the God of compassion.

Father, when Your way demands uncompromising, perplexing plans and I don't understand the 'why', thank You for seeing the struggle and grief that continues in my heart and offering tenderness.

post signature

No comments: