Thursday, October 10, 2013

Compelled

"...Paul was compelled by the Spirit..." Acts 18:5

Only God could place the word "compelled" in my daily reading today.  Monday I registered for "COMPEL, Words that Move People", an avenue of writer's training through Proverbs 31 Ministries.  Seeing a form of the word "compel" in my Bible reading I sense a confirmation that I am walking in obedience to His Spirit that also compelled me.

The word itself intrigues me.  I looked it up in the dictionary.  It means driven to a course of action; have a powerful, irresistible effect; influence; force to submit.  The word is made up of "com", meaning "together" and "pellere", meaning "to drive".  The original is translated as "to drive together".

I like that.  To drive together.  Not going solo, there's a togetherness, a unity, a partnership.  As I begin this on-line writing training, I'm so glad I'm not venturing out alone.  The Lord is with me. I also like to think of my words not only moving people, but as I journey with the Author of The Word may He alone drive my thoughts.  May He travel me down paths of ideas, avenues of insight and streets of emotion that grip the hearts of readers causing them to desire more of Him.  Yes, words that move people, not just causing feelings to stir, but focus to shift.  Lord, use me to move others closer to You.

post signature

1 comment:

Cheri Bunch said...

Your post is so compelling, Joy! Thank you for sharing this! I love the definition of "compel". Brings tears to my eyes, yes, it does.

"forced to submit"

Feeling that!

Love you, my friend!

May He give you words that refresh, teach, motivate and inspire in an even greater measure!