Thursday, June 4, 2009

Awakening

“Promise me,…not to awaken love until the time is right.” Song of Songs 2:7; 3:5; 8:4

Do not awaken love before it’s time.

Years ago I began praying this prayer over my son. Television, radio, internet, video games, magazines, theatre are all doing their part to seduce and entice. What used to be deemed as “inappropriate” is now the “norm”.

“Don’t excite love, don’t stir it up - until the time is right, and you’re ready.” (The Message)

Staying away from the awakening of romantic thoughts protects so much more than the mind. It shelters feelings that give way to actions. Vivian Padilla-Chapman writes in her article, “The Mother’s Heart”, “It is God’s wonderful plan for romantic love. However, if these awakenings happen during a season when they can’t be righteously fulfilled, they often lead down a path of hurt and regret, not only a loss of virginity.”

I'm trusting that consistantly praying for the Lord to shield my son’s heart will keep it from breaking unnecessarily. It will spare him from crushes, ruined friendships and unneeded distractions, enabling him to focus on what the Lord desires.

I long to help my almost 17 year old son, see this season as a time of preparation and opportunity to be learning how to discern God’s voice and develop a deeper relationship with Him. May he seek God first and trust Him to awaken love in His time.

“Though it tarries wait for it; For it will certainly come, it will not delay.” Habakkuk 2:3



post signature

2 comments:

~Grace and Peace said...

Joy,
I love this post. It is so timely for me with my 17 (soon to be 18) year old son. This is a prayer that I will pray for him and his younger brother from this day forward.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Your posts have been such a blessing to me. Thank you for being obedient to the Lord and posting what is in your heart.

RefreshMom said...

My boys are tiny in comparison, but I pray the same for them. It's one of those mysteries that we don't really understand, but it really does make such a difference.